Dec 31

Die-Hard Gooner Witsel reveals Arsenal adulation + Full Unseen Interview

Gooner Talk have managed to get our hands on an exclusive interview with Standard Liege midfielder Axel Witsel.

19-year-old Witsel has attracted attention from a host of top European clubs, including the Gunners and Real Madrid.

In the interview with Belgian newspaper Sud Presse Sport, Witsel spoke about:

• His passion for Arsene Wenger’s side and why he supports them.

• Rumours linking him with a move to Arsenal.

• His views on the William Gallas ‘saga’ and the recent Portsmouth game.

• And why he would never sign for Tottenham!

Belgian international Witsel has already won his domestic league title, and made over 60 appearances for Standard, operating anywhere across the middle of the park.

He’s rated extremely highly on the continent, and with Arsene Wenger reportedly interested in him, Witsel spoke about his favourite club.

“Arsenal, Feyenoord and Real wanted to sign me when I took part in the European U17s Championship in 2006. But I wanted to stay close to my family.”

“I’ve been an Arsenal fan since I was a kid, around 5 or 6 years of age. I love the club because there’s so much young talent. When they play well – it’s amazing”

Despite the rumoured interest of Chelsea and Manchester United, Witsel revealed that he’d rebuff any offers from both clubs if Arsenal came onto the bidding scene.

“I dream to play for Arsenal. If Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal want me, I’d go straight to Arsenal without any thought.”

A massive statement from such a young individual. Talking of massive, guess who Witsel’s favourite all-time Arsenal player is?

“Thierry Henry, my idol. I love this player because he has so much class. What I love most is the way he celebrates his goals. It seems he doesnt care about his goal [he smiles].”

The classy young Belgian stated his disappointment at the removal of William Gallas’ captaincy, but also admitted he wasn’t surprised at the whole event.

“It doesn’t surpise me. When I arrived at Standard there was also conflict between young and old players. The old ones are jealous of the young players. It’s not lack of respect, it’s just evolution.”

Witsel was present for Arsenal’s clash with Portsmouth last weekend, when asked about the game, here’s what he said.

“To be honest, when I see that [the match], I think I’m good enough to play for Arsenal.”

During, and after the game, Witsel showed his passion for the Gunners even singing anti-Spurs songs with the Arsenal faithful!

“Come on Wenger! play van Persie, you’re crazy!”

“Well, this win is good for the team. But thank you ‘Calamity’ James”

A Spurs fan went up to him when he was travelling back home, the fan told Axel that he should sign for Tottenham, Witsel hastily replied.

“Are you joking? I said I want to sign for a big club!”

One thing’s for sure, Axel Witsel is definitely a die-hard Gooner and a player who looks Arsenal-class.

I’ll leave you with a video of the youngster in action for Liege, it’s a great watch.

Massive thanks to Junior and Vince from ASCFR for the translation of the interview.

32 Responses to “Die-Hard Gooner Witsel reveals Arsenal adulation + Full Unseen Interview”

1. athlon says:

Nice player!!! :DD I hope it’s true which he said.. :-)

2. AndyMcPhail says:

Awesome, he’s amazing on Football Manager haha, United and Chelsea have been linked with him but good to see he’s a Gooner.

3. james says:

great work Chris you really are one of the best around

4. Gooner Chris says:

Cheers James, glad you enjoyed it.

And yep, there’s photos of him at the Emirates, he really is a hardcore Gooner!

5. John says:

Intresting maybe Wenger is going to sign him. He looks like thierry henry in terms of style.

6. Gooner Chris says:

Yep, he is similar to Henry in style.

He’s actually a defensive midfielder, but has played on both flanks for Liege in recent games.

7. John says:

Whats his main position DM does he not play RW or LW

8. Gooner Chris says:

Main position is DM, but he’s versatile so he can play across midfield.

9. John says:

Ok Gooner chris well wenger buy a winger as a creative player or a central midfielder. Any news on Gokhan inler?

10. BOY BETTER KNOW says:

now there is a player who wenger should snap right up a player who wants to play for the club and die for the shirt,The comments about the other 3 are quality

11. Gooner Chris says:

Wenger said he would, so I’m hoping we will.

And no, there’s no chance of Inler signing, he only recently signed a new deal at Udinese.

12. Cesc15 says:

TEH EDUARDO AT 1:57

13. The Brain says:

Wenger said he knew a lot (or all) young players from Belgium and those that are of high quality. Witsel will probably attract a high price around £15m judgung by Fellaini. Top player along with Defour though i would prefer Defour. However Witseld can play right midfield.

14. Neil says:

Anyone can look good in a poxy 2 minute youtube video. We need experienced players not another kid for the “futute”

15. Gooner Chris says:

He isn’t rated at that price, Standard will probably hang onto him until the end of the season.

16. Gooner Chris says:

Zain, if you want a link swap, just ask, i’d prefer it then advertising in the comments section. ;)

17. james says:

Chris do you know any thing about Gomis heard a little rumour about a possible bid

18. Gooner For Life says:

LOL!!!!!!!!! I LOVE HIM ALREADY!

19. Sean says:

Didn’t they reject a bid of £20m in the summer? If they did, I wouldn’t be surprised if we were priced out of a move for him.

20. craszy_gunner says:

absolute rubbish….even my grandmum would look good in a 2 min video. I admire his passion for arsenal but he is not there yet…what we lack and even the blind can see is experience and grit in midfield…how many games have we lost or drawn from wining positions…

Is this kid going to prevent that…no…so keep him we won’t take him even for free…

21. Manu says:

he’s top class
    but his club rejected an offer from man utd, above 22 mil euros…
    so i cant see wenger paying even 10

22. Kat says:

Is there a realistic chance of him signing for us? will he play as a DM??? Will Giovinco come to Arsenal?

23. Gooner Chris says:

Ignore the spammers guys, obviously some people are jealous of the site. ;)

ReplyReply
  24. I for one will not be sad to see him go. I think the immediate future lies with Djourou and Gallas, of course if Toure left then he’d either recall Senderos or promote one of the reserves or buy some 2nd rate french defender like Silvestre as backup.

25. redlove says:

Sign him.

26. Manu says:

i am from belgium so i know him
    HE IS NOT A DM
    DEFOUR CAN PLAY AS A DM
    He’s A WINGER

arsenal wont pay his price
    over 20 mil

27. ASd says:

If Arsenal are intrested in him, and if he really wants to go to Arsenal then i am really sure that Arsenal will get him for lower price.

28. Jay Mr J says:

I’m a big Standard fan. Witsel is big class. Never loses a ball. Very versatile. Best as winger. DM is not his best position.
    But as there is already said, for £15m i’d definitely prefer Steven DEFOUR. This player is REALLY worldclass!! DM and AM in 1. The new Andrea PIRLO

29. Walter says:

He was chosen as the best player in Belgium the last year. He won the “golden shoe” tropy as it is called in Belgium.

Nice to hear he’s a gooner. ;-) I suddenly rate him much higher. :-)

30. Gooner Chris says:

Thanks for the information, Walter.

Haha, yep, brilliant to see amazing talents like Witsel supporting the club. :)

31. coolglow says:

This young guy is really promising, and I think if we give him a chance, he can grow into a great player.  It ‘s just sad that many of young players were not given a chance and  I hope this will not happen with him. I hope to see him at the world championship holding the golden cup! Keep up the good work, man!

ReplyReply
  32. […] Liege’s Arsenal-supporting midfielder Axel Witsel has been banned for 11 GAMES after committing a horrendous foul on […]