Jun 18

Koscielny: “I’ve met with Wenger & don’t want to miss this opportunity”

Laurent Koscielny has lifted the lid on why he is so desperate to join Arsenal and how the move came about.

The 24-year-old has been hugely impressive for the French side, leading them to a seventh placed finish, after moving from Tours for £1.2 million last summer.

However, the Ligue 1 side are obviously reluctant to part with their star defender, who has made 35 league appearances this season.

“Arsenal is one of the biggest European clubs, who plays in the Champions League. I think it’s a good club to progress further. I do not want to miss this opportunity,” Koscielny told La Montagne.

“They have contacted my representitives this week. I met with Arsene Wenger, as did my agents after the end of last season. It went well.”

Gunners boss Wenger is currently in the market for another centre back as he faces a defensive exodus with Philippe Senderos already departed and William Gallas, Sol Campbell all expected to leave soon.

Koscielny’s France-based agent Stephane Canard is set for showdown talks with Lorient president Loic Fery in the coming days, with several Lorient forums suggesting that the move will be official fairly soon.

81 Responses to “Koscielny: “I’ve met with Wenger & don’t want to miss this opportunity””

1. damstar says:

@ song is king…arteta is not injury prone mehn….so whenever a player got a serious injury that keeps him out for a long time so he is now injury prone right? see wat he did for everton wen he came back from his injury towards the end of the season…..and also we just need someone for a short period of time until wilshere and ramsey are ready….

2. reenz says:

we shud get ozil and gourcuff from the fabs money if he leaves , we shud sign cahill and/or jagielka if everton let him leave

3. Me says:

Isn’t Wenger a liar? He said he’s gonna make a signing before the World Cup when he knew Chamakh will come, and now he says he’ll make a defensive signing before the end of the world cup when he knows Koscielny will come, thus LYING that we’re not close to anyone.

Guys, I’m pretty sure we won’t see anymore signings, except these two average players, and now I hope Fabregas leaves, because he deserves to be spared of the frustration within and surrounding this money-making club.

4. dale says:

so we’ve signed two average players and letting an amazing one go, great….we need to buy a good experienced goal keeper 25-30yrs old and we need to replace cesc preferably with gourcuff hes very talented and physically better than cesc

5. Jimmy says:

hang on a minute… He’s met with Wenger before a bid has been accepted….?

6. Goomer says:

Vermaelen is very average, just like this guy will be:)

A signing takes two parties agreeing. Wenger can say what he wants to do, make signings before the world cup, but if the other party wants more money, then the signing can’t happen until they agree. That doesn’t make him a liar.

Don’t be so cynical.

7. Passenal says:

Obviously, people hear what they want to hear. Arsene is not a liar, neither did he promise signings on Thursday 29th April 2010 he said

“I will try to do what I want to do as quickly as possible but I am not the only decider. It doesn’t only depend on me.

“Ideally, you would want to do the job before the World Cup. It is difficult to give yourself the right timing.

“Certainly, we will announce one player before the World Cup. After that we will see.”

He has been true to his word. Check Arsenal.com for confirmation.

8. Goonerpower says:

Hang on a min if this true ain’t this tappin up?

9. Goonerpower says:

Not that I care like we need him BIG time

10. Ole says:

Well based on the WC, and tonights game, we should be proud of cero players in the england squad and hope no english players will be bought;)

11. grahame says:

Did anyone just watch that England game ? I got up at 3am in Adelaide to watch that crap…… They oh do they need Theo!!!!

12. Robert says:

May be Algerian players are better buy,judging by their game against England tonight.

13. Fabo[4] says:

Assuming this will be or second signing, we would have spent less in terms of transfer fees (I know Chamakh’s wages needs to be considered) than last season thus far.

Arsene Wenger clearly stated that he has more money this season than in previous years.

Lets just wait and see before we make judgements.(Easier said than done of course)

14. Gooner says:

@arsenal4ever: Hopefully it is TRUE :D

15. gooner james says:

did any1 hear wayne rooneys comments when he left the field. with a performance like the one he just put it who the fcuk does he think he is.

16. MistaKen says:

Keep the ball and you will create chances. Chase it and you will lose it again and again.

17. arsenal4ever says:

couldnt find something about it at skysports but if this is true we are ahead of manure!!!

18. arsenal4ever says:

I am sure if a deal will be done rosicky is in it!! He played for them long years. So Joe Cole is already the replacement for him. Hope Cole isnt to injury prone!!

19. ilya says:

u guys need to come up with some better names for cesc replacement; gerard is old and overrated and will never go to Arsenal, arteta is not that good and getting old, I would take ozil out of ur choices cause he’s technically good but he’s not that fast. Cole would be nice but he’s injury prone and small. Gourcuff is slow and overrated. The perfect cesc replacement would be a carbon copy of Diaby, without the mental issues and injury problems. Someone physical, young, skillfull, has Xavi vision and can shoot. The only realistic prospects I could come up for that are – Milos Krasic, Ribery (not really realistic), jonathon dos santos, shweinsteiger…..but none are perfect, I’d really love if Nasri or Arsh (or even Diaby) would just step up and fill that position so we can invest in some world class talent

20. Boy Better Know says:

we don’t want another unknown average defender

21. Akinuliola Temitopeh says:

I think it will be very nice of Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger if he could sign this young talented star as of the fact that we are desperately in need of this centre back defender.

22. Chrissssss says:

All members of the “Arsene Out” brigade need to get their heads out of their arses.
    Sure, by his standards we have underperformed for a few years now… but who the hell do they think we are that we can afford to let a manager of Arsene’s class go??? Just who do they think we’ll get to replace him? Ferguson? Mourinho? Guardiola? Get a grip!
    I defy anybody to name a single manager on Arsene’s level that we’d have a cat-in-hell’s-chance of signing.

23. Goonergoon says:

@Boy Better Know: Like Vermaelen you mean?

24. arsenap says:

This is good talk. please hurry up the move. arsenal welcomes you.

25. eric says:

man this lad is unproven. there’s no guarantee he will as good as verm. i really dont think that any1 from foreign soil will adapt that quickly apart from verm.

ps england is a bunch of losers n they will NOT progress from the group stage.

26. Gunner Jillu says:

Its obvious to me what is happening, Nasri will replace Cesc in the middle, Cole will be brought in to give as more strength on the left and this Lorient defender will be our new defender with maybe another centr half bought for cover, with Chamakh as our new forward, then a new goalkeeper dont expect anymore signings even with the Cesc cash. In reality we needed a strong forward, goalkeeper, defender, a proper holding midfielder, a left sided midfielder and if possible a player that can create chances, eg Hleb or Bergkamp type player, but is that really going to happen.

27. Me says:

Vermaelen was unknown for those of you who only watch Premier League. I know many people who said he will be a great signing for Arsenal, and his qualities aren’t born at Arsenal. I don’t rate him as world-class, because of his height (he cannot cope with big strikers) and he’s pretty much error prone like we saw in about 6,7 goals he let in this season.

Koscielny on the other hand didn’t have 3 results in google, so he’s largely unknown, and frankly I think Wenger went for him because he’s a cheapskate. period

28. ilya says:

me=idiot, wenger has some of the top scouting networks of any top club, u really think he’s gonna buy a shitty player to save money? this is a potential starter, so to say that he’s trash makes you sound ignorant, I personally don’t watch enough french league to know but I respect arsene enough to give the guy a chance and not make retarded comments cause I can admit that I don’t know and u obviously don’t know shit, so lets think before we start sounding like a stupid spurs fan and embaress yourselves

29. Me says:

ilya, Koscielny is shite, but unfortunately, you’ll have to see it for yourself.

30. ilya says:

He may be but I honestly doubt it, do u know for a fact or are u just saying that cause u haven’t heard of him? I’m curious cause I haven’t heard any first hand ratings for him, If ur informed then lets hear some details I’d like to know who we’re signing