Sep 19

Should Wenger field a full-strength team against Spurs?

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger will again use the Carling Cup to give the world a glimpse of the club’s future by blooding his youngsters. The competition has been used by the Frenchman in the past to educate the likes of Theo Walcott and Jack Wilshere on the demands of first-team football.

The Gunners’ youngsters have certainly excelled in the past but face stiff competition in the third round in the form of arch-rivals Tottenham Hotspur.

Jay-Emmanuel Thomas, Henri Lansbury, Craig Eastmond and Kieran Gibbs are just a select few who are expected to be involved in Tuesday’s tie, although Arsenal striker Marouane Chamakh has revealed that he could be in for a surprise start.

“With the ­injuries we have, it might be I’ll play. If the coach wants me to, I’ll do so willingly,” Chamakh told Mirror Football.

“I know what the match with Tottenham means to the players and to the fans.

“It is very important to win. I am happy to play and ready to play if I am selected. And I know it will be a tough game. Tottenham have some very good players like ­William ­Gallas, Sebastien Bassong and Benoit Assou-Ekotto.”

However, many Gooners have suggested that fielding a weakened side at White Hart Lane will play into the hands of Spurs manager Harry Redknapp, who is expected to start with a mix of fringe players and senior stars.

What kind of team do you want to see Arsenal start with on Tuesday? Should Wenger rest the first teamers and blood the new breed of young talent? Or should he field a full strength side due to the nature of the game?

Leave your views by voting in the poll and commenting in the discussion section below.

Should Wenger play a weakened side at White Hart Lane?

• I think we should play a mix of youth and experience. (53%, 536 Votes)
  • Yes, we've got more important competitions to concentrate on. (27%, 276 Votes)
  • No, it's a derby and we should play our strongest team. (20%, 206 Votes)

Total Voters: 1,014

Loading ... Loading ...

61 Responses to “Should Wenger field a full-strength team against Spurs?”

1. allglory says:

Got to, its our cup final these days. See on the croydon train duckies.

ReplyReply
  2. pastaface says:

When we do well hardly any one comments and when we have a blip we have loads of comments?

ReplyReply
  3. Spurs147 says:

This article has popped up on Spurs NewsNow, so either everyone’s behaving themselves, or the moderators are working overtime to delete the back-and-forth moronic comments (well done chaps!) In any case, it’s a refreshing change.

Maybe it’s just because neither club are going to lose too much sleep over the result of this one. Could this be the least-anticipated north London derby in history? Quite possibly… It seems both clubs have bigger fish to fry this season.

ReplyReply
  4. Arsenalisto says:

@pastaface: So true pastaface lol

ReplyReply
  5. arsenal fan says:

we must play the full strength team, this is the only cup we will have a chance in winning this year

ReplyReply
  6. Seniamor says:

I Think we should go with a mix of experience(not the old lads) and youth. Here goes my lineup:
    Szczesny
    Eboue/Hoyte Djourou Nordtveit Gibbs
    Eastmond Denilson/Wilshere
    Wilshere/Rosicky
    Nasri Vela
    Chamakh/JET

ReplyReply
  7. vijay says:

The team I’d like (but won’t be):

Szczesny
    Nordtveit, Squillaci, Koscielny, Gibbs
    Wilshere, Denilson, Aneke
    JET, Afobe, Vela

The team he should put out:

Szczesny
    Nordtveit, Squillaci, Djourou, Gibbs
    Wilshere, Eastmond, Aneke
    JET, Afobe, Deacon

The team he’ll probably put out:

Fabianski
    Eboue, Squillaci, Djourou, Gibbs
    Wilshere, Eastmond, Aneke
    JET, Chamakh, Vela

The three players I’d be fearful of him including: Randall (not even as good as Pennant/Bentley), Lansbury (too easily overawed), and Henderson (simply not ready to step up).

NOTES: I’d even think about playing Ignasi Miquel instead of Djourou alongside Squillaci and make him captain to boot.

I hate the idea of Fabianski taking Szczesny’s place in the side.

He’ll play Djourou even though JD’s been dreadful so far this season in the reserves.

He might play Denilson instead of Eastmond for fitness reasons.

Truthfully, what’s Chamakh even thinking about playing for … if he gets injured we’re stuffed. Afobe should play alongside JET and Vela.

There’s no point playing Nordtveit in central defence if his best position is at right back.

Should be an interesting game – unless we lose, of course – then it’ll be nothing short of syphilitic.

ReplyReply
  8. Highbury4L says:

I don’t know, we really need a trophy but I don’t think we want the League Cup do we, the F.A. Cup is quite decent, wouldn’t mind stacking that in the cuboard. I just don’t think the Carling Cup is something that will get Fabregas and any other players wanting to leave interested in staying at the end of the season.

although, we are not going to win anything without a full strength team and these injuries are going to be our downfall as they always have been

ReplyReply
  9. Me says:

I just hope Denilson and Clichy won’t play cause I really can’t stand them anymore. Every time one of them gets the ball or needs some little defending to do I get nervous ’cause I know what to expect.

ReplyReply
  10. Menace says:

In my opinion – always. We should never ever lose to the spuds in anything including tiddlewinks!!

This match may be Carling cup but it is against the shite from the lane. The next leg can revert to kids but this match is street cred.

ReplyReply
  11. kajoonga.com says:

hear we go again. Injuries, dropping points. didnt take long. I dont mean to sound like a cynic. But i get just shudder when players like Denilson make statements like “I’m confident we can win the title” on the Arsenal website. Its like the spuds spouting s**t about how great they think they then it all come crumbling down. Im sorry ive been a gooner since 1984 and this season is Chavskis to lose. The best we can hope for is United to explode and we have our second place ladies and gentlemen. Woulnt expect anything else.
    (this is where some deluded smart arse now replies that i should have faith and the title is ours. And i really hope im proved wrong. But ive seen this too many times. I love Arsenal football club. I never miss a game when a game like braga comes along like last week. It makes me relise why i love them so much. But we have to be realistic. Dont we?)

ReplyReply