Jul

"I don't want to be fifth or sixth choice at Arsenal", says Bartley

Written by Chris Wheatley

Young Arsenal defender Kyle Bartley will hold talks with Gunners manager Arsene Wenger this week in the hope of resolving his short-term future at the club.

The 20-year-old spent an impressive loan spell at Rangers last season, although his campaign ended earlier than expected due to a knee ligament injury.

With Thomas Vermaelen, Johan Djourou, Laurent Koscielny, and Sebastien Squillaci all ahead of him in defence, Bartley realises that another move to Scotland could prove helpful for his development.

“I hope to know by the early part of this week what Arsene Wenger’s feelings are”, Bartley revealed.

“I don’t want to be fifth or sixth choice at Arsenal. I’d rather be playing more regularly and Rangers would be perfect.”

Manchester-born Bartley made his Arsenal debut in the Champions League against Olympiakos in December 2009 but was subsequently loaned out to Sheffield United.

28 Comments on ""I don't want to be fifth or sixth choice at Arsenal", says Bartley"

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
athlon
athlon
4 years 11 months ago

This attitude is very shameful.

Mark X
Mark X
4 years 11 months ago

Nothing wrong with this attitude at all. Bartley had a very good loan spell at Rangers last year and if he is not considered to be in the top 4 central defenders at Arsenal this year, both he and the club would benefit from another loan spell at Rangers or possibly with a Championship club in England. It won’t do him any good playing for the reserves at Arsenal this season

He should certainly be ahead of Squillaci in the pecking order though

Lettraggad
Lettraggad
4 years 11 months ago

On the contrary , that attitude is very spot on .. Bartley wants to play and develop and will come back when he Isnt regarded as 4-5 choice.

Peter Efe
Peter Efe
4 years 11 months ago

Let him be infront of Squillaci or loan him to Rangers again. Btw, you know this guy is a ManU fan?!

Savage
Savage
4 years 11 months ago

Perfectly reasonable position. That’s why you can never take your squad players like Eboue or Diaby for granted, or even Squillaci as a 4th or 5th choice. It’s important to have players who understand they will only come on occasionally, but still train hard and don’t complain.

Mr Arsenal
Mr Arsenal

I’d rather have him ahead of Squillaci and Djorou

Djofils
Djofils
4 years 11 months ago

I saw bartley and Rys Murphy in an bar in camden over the week end. I hope they sort themselves out because thats not what we need at Arsenal. Though he is a great player with a big future ahead

Steve A Stevens
Steve A Stevens
4 years 11 months ago

Great player, who simply wants to play at the level he can. I would love to see him back at Rangers, where he will get regular football, a little CL experience. It would be good for Bartley and Arsenal as already stated.

Jameson
Jameson
4 years 11 months ago

I agree that he should be in front of Squiggly…. But not DJ ourou… I think the young Swiss has shown glimpses of what he can become when he reaches mid-late twenties. I honestly believe he has everything to become a top defender.. Bartley has shown glimpses but at a lower level.

athlon
athlon
4 years 11 months ago

For me, Koscielny is an underrated central defender, but he has the place to play alongside Vermaelen next season. I beleive, we can expect a lot from this duo. We would have to sign a French, unproven talent now, to take over Squillaci’s place. Djourou is a great cover for both Verma and the Kozzer

Lettraggad
Lettraggad
4 years 11 months ago

I dont get the critzism of Djorou despite his obvious flaws (he occasionaly loses his marking on setpieces , but is very strong in the air) I have him as our best CB last year .. and he will improve.. Going by stats JD has way more impact than the much loved Vermaelen in fact going by stats when JD is in squad we hardly ever loose.

sukma
sukma

i believe TV5 wont compete for center back, likely he will be in left back

kinggunner
kinggunner
4 years 11 months ago

i mean this guy is worth a breather.look at it last season we had to feature Miguel in a match,at what age? , we were even in the running for Phil Jones at what age?even at a time for Chris smalling, all for what? i mean if we r really desperate for a CB then give him a chance and i think he is that good at least not that Squill is bad but bar experience this guy is better.IMO. thanks and love from Nigeria.

chris
chris

Very fair.

bc
bc

What is the better back 4

Sagna Djourou Koscielny Vermaelen
or
Sagna Koscielny Vermaelen Gibbs/Traore

It is a tough call, for me the 1st one edges, but my preferred back 4 would be

Sagna Metrtesacker Vertonghen Vermaelen

Ruud Van Tanda
Ruud Van Tanda
4 years 11 months ago
Keep him, he’s 10 times better than that piece of shite Squillaci! Don’t understand how he can wake up in the morning and even look at himself!!! He’s that shite, he wouldn’t even make it in the 2nd division! What was AW thinking when he signed him? He clearly wasn’t in my opinion! I mean we went back for Sol, then got lumbered with Utd’s rejects-Silvestre and then he spends £8m on that C**T! No need to sell him tho, cos anyone’s that’s seen him play will know he ain’t worth a penny, probably on £60K+ a week cos the… Read more »
bradster
bradster
4 years 11 months ago

I think TV must stay at CB only. He plays well there and wants to only play there. We have enough players complaining they don’t like been played out of position.
Perhaps a better coach on defence and set pieces because I agree Djourou and Koscielny looks like good very young (for CB) players. They need to develop and someone strong in the back like TV to control the line.
This guy would definitely be my fourth choice but if we buy we should loan him out. If Wenger does something stupid like putting TV at left back we need him.

rangerblue
rangerblue
4 years 11 months ago

I hope AW tells him he can come back to Rangers on loan or permanently-the guy is a quality player who in a year or two will be one of Englands outstanding defenders-with the way every other league is behind the EPL in terms of player numbers i’ll be happy for Rangers to act as a development team for the likes of Arsenal and teams of that stature to bring the fringe/younger players on.

Ray
Ray
4 years 11 months ago

Come on, this guy cannot be behind Squilacci.

GunnerMacedonia
GunnerMacedonia
4 years 11 months ago

it is very fair from him to say stuff like these. he could just go to AW, tell him he doesnt see his future in arsenal and leave, but he doesnt, i aprreciate it!
although i have never seen him play, i put my money he is much, much better that squill and miquel

Talia
Talia
4 years 11 months ago

All he has to do is show AW he’s better than Squillaci and he gets his chance. Even though it’s not much of a benchmark it’s still all up to him. Waddaya say Kyle are you feeling lucky?

wenger-numb
wenger-numb
4 years 11 months ago

give him a chance in the carling cup and other games..he cant be worse than squill…and i would hope he would be potentially better than djorou and kos who are average at best.

Daniel
Daniel
4 years 11 months ago

For rangers he played in DM… and considering that AW wont buy a cover for Song it means that Frimpong and Bartley are going to cover him

bulgarian
bulgarian

I hope the Manchester DNA does not kick in soon 🙂

andy 26
4 years 11 months ago

this kid is english what sort of chance has he under A W who has more faith in the foriegn player.sowe would love to see him up at rangers please.

mojo gooner
mojo gooner
4 years 11 months ago

does anyone know what happened to Abou diaby? is he injured or left out of the squad??

Mark X
Mark X
4 years 11 months ago

Apparently Diaby is injured again!

GunnerMacedonia
GunnerMacedonia
4 years 11 months ago

WE COULD HAVE GOT FELIPE MELO ON LOAN! FFS WENGER WHERE ARE YOUR EYES!

wpDiscuz