Feb 11

King Henry bids ‘au revoir’ with late winner – Sunderland 1-2 Arsenal

Thierry Henry’s final game for Arsenal in the Premier League ended in victory, with the Frenchman scoring a late goal to give the Gunners all three points against Sunderland.

The Black Cats took the lead in controversial style after 70 minutes with James McClean’s goal, before Aaron Ramsey levelled the sides soon after, but it is Henry who will once again grab all the headlines on his last Premier League appearance.

McClean’s goal stemmed from Per Mertesacker’s unfortunate slip, but shortly after his replacement Aaron Ramsey directed a clever shot past Simon Mignolet to equalise.

Henry then came on for his last Premier League appearance before his return to the MLS, and the script was written for the Arsenal legend, who didn’t disappoint.

Andrey Arshavin’s cross was met by Henry in the 92nd minute, and the Frenchman made no mistake from three yards out, sending the away fans into raptures.

Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker (Ramsey 72), Vermaelen, Koscieln,y Rosicky, Arteta, Walcott, (Arshavin 86), Oxlade-Chamberlain (Henry 66), Song, van Persie.

10 Responses to “King Henry bids ‘au revoir’ with late winner – Sunderland 1-2 Arsenal”

1. @AdamArsenal says:

Massive 3 points, with Chelsea & Liverpool losing but the credit must go to Arshavin for a superb cross…!

ReplyReply
  2. RedandDread says:

It wasn’t a header!! But who the fuck cares!!

ReplyReply
  3. Jakup Azemi says:

I join the comment made by Adam, who credits Arshavin for his superb cross, which enabled Henry to score.
    This is what great players, such as Henry and Arshavin can do in the critical moments.
    I take the opportunity, to dissagree with so many Arsenal fans about Arshavin, who, yes he has been out his top form, but he has delivered in so many occasions vital chances. I am surprised, how little credit he gets even when he delivers so good. This is disrespectful and unfair.

ReplyReply
  4. GunnerDareMKD says:

It wasn’t a header,it was perfectly right footed goal !

ReplyReply
  5. First off, what a absolutely gorgeous, glorious moment for Thierry Henry. If his loan spell was a movie I wouldn’t have watched it: Just not realistic! The winner against leeds, a last-minute goal in his last match at The Emirates and a last-minute winner in his last ever Premier League match.

I also love that our two criticized players, Ramsey & Arshavin, have been important today. I strongly believe in Ramsey and people have been way too harsh on him. He has played too many matches due to injuries, on a very difficult position and his form also dropped since Gary Speed passed away. I read the following stats this week: Since 2007 Aaron Ramsey has created a chance every 43 minutes, the 9th highest in that era.
    Ramsey unbelievable talent will persevere and he will most definitely be a very important player for us.

Finally, hat’s off to Sunderland for the way they withstood Arsenal for most of the game. Martin O’Neill is doing a great job over there.

Come On You Gunners!

ReplyReply
  6. mark7402 says:

I am so happy for Arshavin. Most fans have run out of patience with him but I can’t put him down as he has stayed devoted to the club when others around him have walked.
    I don’t believe it’s his attitude but his mindset and I hope this will help him.
    I don’t expect people to start supporting him because of 1 cross but come-on people lets try and back him up as I’m sure he is still very important for us.

ReplyReply
  7. Kevin says:

Legend!!

ReplyReply
  8. meaner says:

yeah.. ramilson scored 1 goal, so again he is going to reinstate his “unbelievable talent”? Well.. i think he needs another 20 games to score another goal. Walcott should be replaced earlier, he had just contributed to that Blackburn’s game, he would only be effective after 20 games too. Mert reminded me of Denilson, another idiot who would collaspe even he is the last man.. Mert is begining to join the Ramilson-walcott rubbish bin.

Well.. King Henry is pure class though.

ReplyReply
  9. gunnering says:

Thanks Henry! He’ll be watching Arsenal’s games from the States. How about putting up a banner at Emirates during the next game saying, “THANK YOU THIERRY HENRY” as a token of appreciation?? At least I think he deserves it!

ReplyReply
  10. fan says:

Arshavin was equally brilliant. His 2 crosses are world class.

ReplyReply