Jenkinson to continue as understudy right-back, says Wenger | Gooner Talk

17
Jul

Carl Jenkinson to continue as understudy right-back


Written by Chris Wheatley

No Comments  

Jenkinson

Carl Jenkinson will compete with Mathieu Debuchy for the right-back spot next season, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has confirmed.

The club announced the £12m signing of Debuchy on Thursday evening after several weeks of negotiations with Newcastle.

France international Debuchy previously admitted he is keen to play Champions League football and Arsenal’s offer of regular first team football at the highest level was too good to turn down for the experienced 28-year-old.

Gunners boss Wenger told the official Arsenal website that 22-year-old Jenkinson would continue as the club’s second-choice right-back, putting into doubt a potential move for Atletico Madrid youngster Javier Manquillo.

“He [Jenkinson] is going to compete, of course”, revealed Wenger.

“There is nobody today who can play 60 games at the top level – that’s why you always need two players”.

Debuchy joins Chile star Alexis Sanchez as the second high profile signing of the summer, with Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis telling supporters last week that he is working on several transfers ahead of the new Premier League season.

Signing back-up for current No.1 Wojciech Szczesny is a top priority for Gunners boss Arsene Wenger after the departures of Lukasz Fabianski and Emiliano Viviano. A fee in the region of £3m has been accepted by Ligue 1 side Nice for Colombia goalkeeper David Ospina and personal terms are also expected to be agreed within the coming days.

Wenger’s side, as exclusively revealed on Gooner Talk, are expected to sign two more players by the time they play Manchester City for the Community Shield next month.


Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

avatar

GOT A
GOOD STORY?
WRITE FOR US