Wenger – The Antithesis Of Evil As Yet Another One Bites The Dust

September 1, 2008 was a black day for football. I’m currently lacking the words needed to describe how I feel and what I think about this indignity. Someone needs to say it but noone seems to step up. Is there a worldwide lack of civil courage? How is this not a cause for deep, deep concern? On September 1, 2008 Manchester City were bought by a foreign investor. Or, as Manchester City so deliberately put it on their official website, “a Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between the Abu Dhabi United Group (ADUG) and Manchester City Football Club”, meaning, when said in plain English, that they will be given a shitload of money by their new owners.

You might wonder why that is such a big deal. Lots of clubs have foreign investors and they’re still crap. Well, ADUG is nothing like, let’s say, Fulham’s owner and provider of money. ADUG makes Roman Abramovich look like a poor beggar desperately searching for a hot meal and a place to sleep for the night. To put it in simple terms: they are filthy, filthy rich. They reportedly made offers of astronomical sums for David Villa, Berbatov, Mario Gomez and Robinho, the latter one thankfully being the only presented transfer, all at the same time, only a day after being bought up. Their owner, Suleiman al-Fahim, is saying that he’s aiming to make Manchester City the number 1 club in Europe and, since England is the best league by quite a bit, the best in the world. They think a 4th spot is a realistic target for this season. Now, I’m not worried one bit about Arsenal finishing behind Manchester City – atleast not this season, unless they buy an entire new starting eleven in the January transfer window, but, in no less than 1 or 2 years time, I’m afraid the Big 4 will be expanded into the Big 5 with Manchester City being that 5th member of this exclusive club. Perhaps as the dominant one.

The prospect of another huge team in the Premier League is not at all an appealing one to Arsenal fans, or any other fans who have their sympathies reserved for a team in the English league for that matter, because it will mean another mountain to climb. But that’s not my biggest concern. If only it were on a sporting level. This is about much, much more than that. It’s about morality – an underrated thing nowadays. Is this the message we want the future generations to absorb? That materialistic possessions, success and fame is all that matters? That everything can be solved by money and noone even cares? To me it appears that it’s what the world, not just football, is constantly moving towards. I don’t think that there is a global and generally accepted standard of morality in the world – nor should there be one, although religion sometimes tries to provide it, still I find this shocking, morally bankrupt and disturbingly wrong in so many, many ways.

Incredibly and mind-boggingly rich foreigners who know nothing about the game itself is what my nightmares are made out of. How do I know that they know nothing – or atleast, thankfully, very little – about the sport? Well, in the same interview that Suleiman al-Fahim revealed his ambitions for the club, he also said he was going to bring in players from his country to the club. That’s exactly what Shinawatra did too (who, by the way, didn’t give City a single pound of his own money – but perhaps more on that another time) and just look at how the players from Thailand permeates the City squad. Ehrm.

I really hope that Suleiman al-Fahim intervenes as much as possible with the manager’s plans. That would atleast help us a little bit. It doesn’t save the world from the evils of foreign investment, everything that it means and the reprecussions it will have on generations to come, though. That’s where our very own Arsene Wenger comes into the picture.

Arsene once said that he despises Big Brother, just like I do, for the same reasons that I hate it; because people want to become famous quickly. Not famous for anything in particular, like being good at something, just famous. What kind of goal in life is that? That is exactly what I think and it’s exactly the kind of soulless, materialistic worldview that will ruin society, like a virus or a parasite (or a foreign investor), inevitably leaving the world as a vacuum of individuality and moral fiber; a black hole of shattered potential and despair. Atleast that’s how I see it.

On a footballing level I still do see Arsenal having a bright future. If Wenger stays he would make Arsenal into the complete antithesis of get-famous-quick-clubs like City and Chelsea. If we aren’t one already. I can see players joining Arsenal solely on the basis of ours and Wenger’s reputation. Another positive thing about these trophy-barren years, partly imposed upon us by Wenger, is the love and affection for the club that the players have. Wenger brought them to London at a young age to let them develop together for years, making their ways up into the first team in the future. We are seeing the rewards of that now in the form of Clichy,  Toure and Fabregas – players who probably never will leave Arsenal, and more of these example will definitely follow. Hleb, Flamini and Gilberto (although the latter is perhaps not to be considered in the same ungrateful bracket as the first 2, but just do it for the sake of the argument), who all left us during the summer, did not go through the same things at Arsenal like Clichy and Fabregas has done. I think people will want to be a part of that. And when the Emirates makes us a force to be reckoned with in the transfer market I see no reason why we couldn’t be the dominant force in world football – considering teams like Man U and Chavski should be the new Leeds’ by then.

I love Arsenal, the players within the squad (yes, even Eboue), Arsene Wenger, his philosophy and everything that Arsenal stands for; everything from the way the lawn is mowed at the Emirates before games to all the charity work being done – I simply love Arsenal. I would prefer not winning a title ever again than being taken over by that fat, ugly, kind of troll-reminiscent waste of space that is Usmanov and becoming just like Chelsea or Man City. And if you love Arsenal, you should too. Let’s stick by Wenger for as long as we possibly can, because he truly is one in a million. And so is Arsenal.

Eboue..
Eboue..

Well fucking said…! Thank you…!

michael
michael

brilliant, brillaint artiscle. completly agree with everything said and am praying that we win the league to show everyone what reallly counts in football

Jonny
Jonny

totally agree!!!

neal
neal

Brillantly said……wake up before it too late !!!

Gunner fishing
Gunner fishing

Best comments, well said that man.

Rob C
Rob C

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you say, Chelsea have, up until yesterday represented everything that I hate about today's football, unlimited funds to buy any player they want but fortunately playing unattractive football that nobody unless you are a Chelsea fan was willing to pay money to watch. Buying a squad of players and paying them obscene amounts of money does not make a football team, doing it the “arsene way” creates a team and a club.

nishanth
nishanth

well said gooner chris.I am tired of watchign transfers taking place at inflated prices.Thia somehow has to stop.Hope platini will be able to do something about this

GoonerChris

Article was by Axel, a contributor for the blog, and I agree – fantastic article!

Liam
Liam

Absolutely brilliant article!
good to hear when all you seem to hear nowadays is the money rolling
although i do worry about keeping the team together as wenger didnt seem to do that this year…

Roy
Roy

Together, all the way….

Neil
Neil

Totally agree, well said. Wenger and Arsenal are beacons of decency in a world where morality takes a back seat to purchased 'glory'.

Wenger deserves our total support for building
a team on the training ground and not with his chequebook.

barking
barking

Excellent. You're a credit to the Club.

LB
LB

Agreed completely. EUFA must take action. This is madness.

hboy
hboy

Well said mate! I felt depressed after last night, and the disappointment of not making a signing, but the more time that goes past, the better I feel, and my love for the club, and Wenger returns. This is a trial of morality for all of us, for Arsene, for the players, for the fans and for the board. When I read forums this morning calling for a fan boycott, I felt sympathy, but now I can see the juicy red apple does indeed contain poison. The best response, the only response to all of this, is to get back… Read more »

Vegard
Vegard

the only person out of approximately 120 people's posts I've read today, who share the exact same view as me. people panic and want wengers head just because there wasnt any players as good as our current ones that was available for a reasonable prize. arsenal will become a rich club because of wengers ingeniousity, not because of some rich man who wants fame.

frustrated norwegian, who trusts arsene wenger untill he dies.

Harith Aldegather
Harith Aldegather

fantastic. you are a true fan, and the club should be proud to have your support.

chengiskhan
chengiskhan

As more and more money gets thrown into the Premier League, established players will only become more and more expensive. It will become an increasingly untenable situation for clubs with less money to compete with the very deep pocketed ones. Those clubs who bet on the future by leveraging debt to pay for players will have huge pressure to make the top 4 and participate in Champions League football. Lack of success will be punished severely in financial terms, which could send clubs into ruin, a la Leeds United. That's why Arsene's policy of fiscal responsibility and going after young… Read more »

tinypete
tinypete

God bless you my son!

CAMBSGOONER
CAMBSGOONER

SPOT ON I WONDER WHAT HAPPENS WHEN FOREIGN MONEY GETS TIRED OF THEIR PLAY THINGS…..DOES THE PREMEIR LEAGUE HAVE NO SAY SO IN CLUBS JUST BEING BOUGHT AND SOLD LIKE ANY OTHER ITEM.PLEASE LETS NOT BE GETTING RID OF OUR BOARD AS I THINK THEY ARE ALL ARSENAL FANS FIRST.UP THE GOONERS

CAMBSGOONER
CAMBSGOONER

Norms
Norms

Well said, I agree with most of your sentiments and i believe that in the not too distant future there will be a cap on transfer fees, wages and some rule about the national makeup of each team in Europe's premier leagues.We may not like the latter but it may also be the saviour of those teams without trillions to spend. There may even be a limit to the number of transfers in (of established players) that each team is permitted per season.The more bizarre ownership and spending become the more likely that UEFA/FIFA will be to reign in the… Read more »

87robinson
87robinson

I COULDNT AGREE WIV YOU MORE BROV. ALL THAT HAS GONE ON IN THE LAST DAY OR SO HAS JUST STRENGHTENED MY LOVE FOR THE ARSENAL. GOONER 4 LIFE! COME ON GOONERS LETS STICK TOGETHER

Walter
Walter

hear hear hear We Gooners should be proud of our club who is doing it on all by themselves and we do it totaly different to other clubs. We bring up players and yes it takes some time but we are all seeing the best football of the world (almost) everytime Arsenal plays. Thanks to Wenger and his boys. Our basis is solid and not like Chelski, ManUSA, Liverbankrupcy, Manchester Arab, … we depend on rich owners who can kill the club at any moment in time. Like I said before on other blogs: Being a Gooner is more then… Read more »

jesse
jesse

big up! this what real arsenal fans think and i hope others hear it too! all this “wenger out” talk is heart breaking only because it comes from the mouths of other gooners. these other gooners i can only assume have been supporting the club since we won in 2004. perhaps that was the first season they had actually seen and thought “well, i think i'll support arsenal”. maybe the reason they are so angry is becasue they feel short changed! we should all just be grateful we dont have a new manager every week. stabilty is also a rare… Read more »

harry
harry

well said kid…….

thenry
thenry

WELL SAID!! THERE ARE TOO MANY PLASTIC JOHHNYCUMLATELY BLOGGERS WHO ARE CALLING FOR ARSENAL TO SCAK WENGER. most of these thick plastic fans need to geta reality check. the thing they dont get and what WENGER is creating at Arsenal is its not ablut the playesr its about the system of play and creating the players that can fit into the sytem. as we have seen that many players that leave Arsenal rarely achieve the same heights as they do in their carrers at Arsenal. we did not nee to sign anyone once our injured players are back we will… Read more »

RedandDread
RedandDread

Well said mate-but would a trophy this year!

Hugo
Hugo

Thank God we're finally starting to see some sense being spoken this afternoon!! I've never read so much bollocks as the blogs and their commenters this morning, full of people who dont know a thing about football and the values of AFC. Fuck them all, fuck city, fuck the chavs and every foreign investor out there looking to spread their cancer on the game, up the Arse!!

Howard
Howard

Brilliant article, the last paragraph was great. Only thing that concerns me is that we will get left behind. Don't get me wrong I love the fact that we remain an English club and I certainly do not want to be taken over by a stinking Russian Billionaire but how long will we have to wait before we taste even slight success again. Long gone are the days when we can repeat the feat of 2002. I am worried Cesc will go abroad as well, and worst of all I won't blame him. He is too good a player to… Read more »

Clarky
Clarky

Here here! Absolutely agree and I detest all those chavvy supposed Arsenal blogs (eg Gooner Forum) that are full of cries for Wenger's head because he didn't sign anyone yesterday – glory hunters that Arsenal do not deserve. They all forget that no other team would have played the brilliant football that dismantled Newcastle the other day. Sure they were'nt the toughest opposition but Man Yoo drew against them and Chelski would just have steamrollered them in an unattractive way and Liverpool would have been rubbish againstthem but won with a last-minute goal from Torres again 🙂 For that wonderful… Read more »

87robinson
87robinson

JUST A QUICK MESSAGE TO ALL GOONERS THAT GO TO GAMES- GET LOUD GET AGGRESSIVE GET BEHIND OUR PLAYERS.LETS SING TOGETHER LOUDLY AND SUPPOERT OUR ARSENAL PLAYERS LIKE THEY SHOULD BE SUPPORTED. SEE YOU AT BLACKBURN!!!!

unnamed
unnamed

I'm proud that Arsenal behaves the way we do. I love this club.

Goon
Goon

Yeah so-called foreign business & investment has turned the sport into a friggin casino. This Abu Dhabi Group is just the start of the sport becoming completely outrageous. What's worse is thiese guys are willing to hockey 300 million euro on a whim while people are fucking starving, or dying. Who are these a$$holes with all this money. Sure they want a player someone else wants and they bid 10-15, 20 million more than anyone else if they wanted from the sounds of it, just because they can. The Saudi's are having a laugh at the Russian & American investors… Read more »

lennox
lennox

what a load of crap the board what a load of greedy cunts i hope we have a real shit season then something might get done we are getting more and more people leaving and not getting replaced im fed up of it i aint paying to watch mark randell his shit if wenger has got money to spend he just must be thick,we aint even spent the champions league qualifying funds??????????????????????what does everyone else think i was sitting up waiting like a cock last night wenger was talking shit to us all

Stevie
Stevie

Great piece – I've been feeling the same dread all day. These multibillionaires have no class and no respect for our beloved game. They were even saying they intend buying Cesc, Torres and Ronaldo! Fuck off. Cesc's already voiced pretty much we're all thinking about Robinho's move – he's a greedy little shit that disrupted the dressing room at Real just before the opening of their campaign (my own words) Don't you just love this little guy?

Mouhsin
Mouhsin

Great article I felt it through my bones haha chris 😉

lettraggad
lettraggad

A truly excellent post mate , brilliant no need to add I totally agree. Its actually quite amusing now we will see three clubs going (not including the moneybags in Spain and Italy )for the same players talk about biddingwars. Arsene has never entered the race for established players as the prices are inflated .. the Abudabi group hace already pipped chelsea once and probably intend to do it again. I bet fat frank and the other moneygrabbing c#nts arent to happy they commited to Chelsea now :=). And as for SWP will he once again be in the same… Read more »

tinypete
tinypete

I feel proud to be part of a great club, great supporters & a standard of moral ethics that you WILL NOT find in any of the other top 4 (now top 5) clubs.

Arsenal Football Club………..I love you!

Tom
Tom

Absolutely correct, I think the premier league is turning into a circus. I would hate to be a city fan right now, to know the only things they'll achieve are through money. I love Arsenal and I respect Wenger so much for his attitude and morals towards our club and in general. Nice to see someone speaking the truth. I believe we as Arsenal fans should stick together and make sure this never happens to us, I would much rather watch our wonderful football and not win anything that be a Chelsea fan and watch boring football week in week… Read more »

Clarky
Clarky

Lennox go back to Gooner Forum with your opinions and you can sympathise with all the other “supporters” who just criticise – did you watch thematch on Saturday – if you thought that was “shit” then I don't know what you expect from a football team

RP7
RP7

I will stick by AW, but he is playign a dangerous game by not making any signings to bolster the squad, which we must admit has weakened by the lose of 4 midfielders since last January. He could, however, still save the situation by making a late bid for Stephen Appiah. He ticks all of the boxes we need

tinypete
tinypete

why don't you piss of & support someone else then you prick!

Gooner4life&beyond
Gooner4life&beyond

Yes it is obscene, people complained about Arsenal, but the truth is that we may soon be the only big club turning out players that can play for England. Why bring up English youth when you can buy every player your heart desires? Those clubs will lose their identities eventually.

Still would have liked a couple players to come in, true gooners would have appreciated Appiah or someone 'unfashionable/inexpensive' like that.

jack
jack

We are the Arsenal , we are the best, we are the Arsenal
so fuck all the rest

jack
jack

We are the Arsenal , we are the best, we are the Arsenal
so fuck all the rest

Vegard
Vegard

lennox dont even know how to use periods. how can he begin to comprehend how to make a team without a rich arab.

Darren
Darren

While I agree with most of what you are saying, I do think your view on Arsenal and its players are alittle love-blind. They are a great club, and I love how Wenger runs the club and more clubs should follow suit. However, I do not agree that Flamini was being selfish exactly. He played out his contact as he had signed, and when it was up, he was free to go, and he went to his boy-hood dream team. Fair enough I say. And to think the players who have grown up in the Arsenal ranks will never leave?… Read more »

arsenal4ever
arsenal4ever

brillant article mate. We shouldnt blame for Wenger he tried to get Veloso ( loyal to Sporting ), Inler ( agent says perhaps next year ) and Alonso but unfortunately failed. We have to be patient with some players like Song, Eboue ( who played fantastic against Newcastle ), Diaby ( will be back from injury ) and Denilson who will be better and better each game and score goals ( more as Flamini has ever done ). To the fucking foreign billionars shut up and buy cars not football teams. Cesc will never join such a shitty club like… Read more »

Erichero
Erichero

Only one team in 20 can win the league, so for supporters to behave as though they have some kind of right to win is simply a little bit silly. Perhaps it's the actual football we should be enjoying and not just the winning, which happens in all kinds of sports. If you could spend you Saturday afternoons watching the actual football, how many teams other than Arsenal would you really choose? The winning is good, but life doesn't stop there. If winning is simply expected, then when do you reach the pinnacle? What makes you happy? What made me… Read more »

Niel
Niel

I don't think I've ever been as proud to be a Gooner as today. UP THE ARSE!!!

Enable Notifications    Ok No thanks