Uneducated Fans Exposed As Times Get Tough Being A Gooner.

Let’s make no mistakes here, Arsenal are terrible at the moment. The defeat to Stoke City was embarrassing for the fans, the club, the players and indeed the manager. Pressure is growing on Arsene Wenger to be sacked for the debacle, and for the lack of a trophy is over 4 seasons.

There is a famous quote which I think has come into prominence in recent weeks. “When Times Get Tough, People Show Their True Colours.” Times are tough at the moment – although we did go through October unbeaten – and the good passage as not let us down.

The Internet is, despite it’s giant popularity, dominated by teenagers. In fact, both me and Gooner-Chris are teenagers as are the majority of the good people who post comments on the respective websites. All I’ve ever known is Arsenal going from strength to strength.

I feel almost spoilt when I look back at our history and see that the Gunners were once an average team, yet were enjoying so much success in my life time. So the patch were experiencing at the moment is unknown for me, but somehow my love is as strong as ever for MY CLUB. Wenger has called for fans support, and that’s exactly what I’m going to give.

However, because the Internet and life in general is dominated by my fellow teenagers, their support for the side is falling away. Because they don’t understand where we have come from, and what Wenger and his ways have done for the club, we are quick to jump on him. Fans look around at the moment, see the likes of Barcelona sacking Frank Rijkaard after two seasons without a trophy, and take that as an example. Young people are easily influenced and behaviour like this has impacted on our club.

People pick holes at our youth policy, but then laud the kids when they smash Sheffield United to pieces in the Carling Cup. You are either with the club or you are not.

We have come from nowhere and we could return to nowhere quickly, let’s not get ahead of ourselves after a few seasons of success. Wenger balances the books correctly, to make sure we are never in any money trouble. Okay, we don’t go out and spend £30 million on a player, but what use would that player be when the club goes out of business.

Wenger is not bigger than Arsenal FC, but there is not many people around with the knack and intelligence to focus on all aspects of the club. It may surprise you, but unlike your Football Manager games, when the club goes bust, that’s it, game over, no reset button.

I urge all of my fellow Gooners to look back through the history books at what this club was, what it is, and what it can be. Wenger is important to all aspects of that, but he needs your time, and your support. If you won’t do it for him, do it for Arsenal, if you’re a true Gooner, you love the club whoever is in charge.

Johnny Hoy
Johnny Hoy

Nice one mate.

silo
silo

Nice article.

Bob
Bob

Good stuff. I too am 20 years old and have only really experienced the glory days.. this is probably the worst situation I’ve experienced since becoming an Arsenal fan. I won’t give up on my team… but I expect a lot of fans will lose some interest, as they, like me, only know of Wenger’s amazing sides and can’t cope with maybe becoming something like Aston Villa or Everton. The most frustrating thing is that we could all see this coming, we knew that our problems hadn’t been addressed. That’s my main problem with Wenger. We could all see it… Read more »

Gooner

Jamie. You have to understand that “some” fans have the right to feel piss off with the club and Wenger. It has nothing to do with “if you are a true gooner” or not. We all are different as people and react in ways differently. Some people kick the table,some shout,some just take it in and deal with it. And yes some fans have had enuff of wengers transfer ways and want to see some change and the only way to get a point across is to make some sound.

Spike
Spike

Hey fella, if you are a teenager, then you’re a pretty effin mature one mate! I am sick at the moment, was angry as f**k after Wednesday nights capitulation and raging watching the Stoke ‘performance’ BUT I will not let that anger dampen my support for the team, regardless of how i feel about certain individulas in the team. All we can do is get behind the team, after all, calling for the managers head just coz other glory hunting plastic Sky Sports media fed sheep are, is hardly gonner help us out is it? Some of the vitriol and… Read more »

joshua
joshua

gr8 article im 16 and i totally agree. support the club through the good and the bad.

Aussie Gooner
Aussie Gooner

I have supported Arsenal for more years than I would like to remember and had a season ticket at Highbury and the Grove before moving to the otherside of the world. I have to say I have enjoyed reading this article by a sensible and knowledgeable teenager. Hopefully you are not a one off and there are more internet gooners out there like you.

North for short
North for short

I am not a teenager and I do know what it is like to support Arsenal when they are at their mediocre best. In the 70’s,trips to Stoke in the past were nightmares as we would usually fail as was White Hart LAne , Elland Road and Newcastle. Times have changed and what with the talent we have at our resources, we shouldn’t be losing to the likes of Stoke, Fulham and Hull. It is complacency that the players are not in competition for places. there is no hunger, no fight and most of all, no backbone when the going… Read more »

ronaldiniwho
ronaldiniwho

Well said Mr Sanderson, great article, i couldnt have said it much better myself, i’ve been a gooner since i was about 8 in ’92-’93 so not that long but i’ve had the mediocrity of the mid 90’s but was blessed when Wenger took over. As you said all these idiots coming out and slagging Wenger off Should take a look back, He has made our club great. As you said not even Wenger is bigger than the club, but he has pretty much secured our financial future for a long time to come. And lets be honest can we… Read more »

Goonbrother
Goonbrother

Great articel J, is there any news on Frimpong because setanta are reporting that on his face book hes announced hes moving to Bournemouth on loan??? Just thought you havent posted anything on your ‘young guns.’ that is urs right?? http://www.setantasports.com/Templates/News/NewsArticle.aspx?id=1415

Chris

Well, I would be disappointed with the fans if after such a week they stay put and not react at all at what happened to us. It would mean they don’t care.

Remember, a true supporter will definitely react negatively to a week like the one which is about to end, simply because it’s in his blood.

But then yes, there are supporters and there are supporters. Being angry and keeping it to football is one thing, personally insulting the coach and players is another.

Neil
Neil

great article, and i do back Wenger cant see any manager out there who I would want to replace him any way.
The fact is tho we have to sign 1/2 commanding centre backs and 1 commanding centre mid, just because we sign those sort of no nonsence players wont mean we have 2 change our style of play.

wonnie
wonnie

very well said mate. my friends call me an akb (arsene knows best) but i say 5 seasons ago we were all akbs when it was good now they are calling for everyones head i believe this is the time to show a united front and if more bloggers were like you then that would be easier accomplished.kudos to you for a nice article.

DFB
DFB

I’m not a teenager. I’ve been watching Arsenal for over 45 years so I’ve seen more than a fair share of bad times. Problem is, over the last few years, our team’s been getting weaker and weaker but we’re not told why. Arsene says this is the most talented team he’s managed but it’s obviously not the most effective. Everyone and his dog knows what the team’s lacking and can’t understand why nothing’s been done to fix it. It’d be nice to have an honest answer as to why this situation has been allowed to come about. If it’s lack… Read more »

Spike
Spike

WE’ve got an effin commanding centre half! His name’s Johan, he comes from Switzerland and he loves collecting stamps and sitting on the effin bench watching gallas, Kolo and Silvestre continually fuck up while he gets overlooked!

JJ
JJ

there’s flipside of the coin. people can start to vote with their legs off the emirates and you’ll get bust before you finally decide to buy 20 mln player to make them renew their club levels. no one believes wenger anymore when he says he’ll buy someone, because everybody knows he does that only to back-up season renewals. as simpl? as that.
and arsenal’s manager is not lifetime job by the way, even if the track record is that good as AW has…

Davi
Davi

Good article jay i read ur stuff on your other site all the time I think wenger needs to realise, I’m sure he does tbh, but the only difference to our team defensively from last year is the loss of flamini and we looked fine for the most part. If anything we look better as a team going forward thanks to nasri chipping in with a few goals I said at the start of the year put johan in midfield and im starting to think along those lines again – its his natural position and would He add a bit… Read more »

nishanth
nishanth

i only started watching football in 2003.Yes the invincibles season.But i really really love arsenal.Sacking wenger will not be the solution.But wenger should really do a self check.I mean are players like denilson song diaby going to lead us to silverware?

stevus
stevus

I like your intelligent style of writing and agree with most of it. For balance though we need to consider history in its fullest perspective. George Graham ushered in a tremendous era of success in 1986. What ultimately made this possible was the ‘Neill Out’ demonstration after the 0-1 defeat to WBA in Nov 1983. We then had two years of transition under Don Howe where Rocastle, Merson, Adams etc. learned the top flight facts of life alongside experienced pros. Wenger took what Graham achieved to new footballing heights. I remember in Nov 1983 being poo poo’d by fellow fans… Read more »

nishanth
nishanth

I saw barcelona play yesterday in probably on the shittiest surface ever.But i was soo impressed by the attitude of their players.Players like messi etoo xavi were workiing their socks off.Our teams work rate has reduced considerably.The likes of denilson,song,adebayor and bendtner are strolling for most of the match

Rizla
Rizla

What a load of patronising nonsense!! Sorry young Sanderson, but that article – unlike the majority you write which I usually enjoy – is rose-tinted garbage from someone who obviously swallows the Club’s and Wenger P.R. hook, line and sinker. People show their ‘true colours’, eh? Well it appears no-one is taking this saying to heart more than the current players, and their ‘true colours’ as shown in the Hull, Sunderland, Spurs and Stoke matches are not a pretty sight. As a fan of 40 years, I’ve seen far worse Arsenal sides and individual players than the curent lot, yet… Read more »

Rizla
Rizla

Oh, and one last thing: it’s a bit rich for someone that has only been watching football for a few years to be calling other fellow fans ‘uneducated’, don’t you think?

Barry and Larry the Redkapp twins
Barry and Larry the Redkapp twins

Basil should buy all the players a poodle each so they can learn how to hold on to a lead!

N4
N4

I dont want Wenger to leave, just wake up, you say in your article about spending 30 mil on a player, did Stoke, or Hull no, but what they did do was address thier weaknesses, why has it taken the boss till now to realise what we all knew at the beginning of the season? it was glaringly obvious even to the fan with not much football knowledge, no strength in depth.

LEON
LEON

i know this seems harsh but for me gallas should be sold,i dont see what he brings to arsenal thae toure does’nt both are quick bmobile ddefenders and neither are of them are commading defenders,gallas has been captain almost 2 years and quite frankly he has been very poore,both gallas and toure are playing that well right now,arsenal are desparate need of sole cambell type player. i dont question the quality wenger purchaces but not enough player have brought in.i feel arsenal clearly misising risisky badly is arsenals most experiened midfielder by far,there fab is having play far to much,… Read more »

The Brain

We are still technically in the title race so lets believe but still the tactics weren’t correct as we should have at least had a good chance in the box from open play but we didn’t. We lost Flamini and Gilberto so we should have signed someone.
Time to give Djourou a chance as he hasn’t let a goal in while Veal and Ramsey deserve more opportunities. Maybe Ramsey on the right or left.

Also J.Sanderson are u really a teenager? Cos if u are the bloggers are seriously getting younger. Am I gonna be the only non-teenager?

sysuser
sysuser

I really think supporters and fans need to stage a protest against the way the club is run and the direction its being going towards for the past few years. I hate to admit it , but i think Mourinho was right after all when he said Wenger is no under any pressure to deliver trophies. For goodness sake Mourinho was sacked despite winning at least 4 trophies and Wenger was never able to beat him…says a lot if u think about it. Also i think the fans need to boycott at least one match and not pay for the… Read more »

JS
JS

Yep, I’m 17 guys.

And no Frimpong isn’t leaving Arsenal.

AndyMcPhail
AndyMcPhail

I’m a teenager too, So essentially this is a Teenage ran arsenal fan site.

chris
chris

yeah im a teenager aswell, nothing that happens will ever change the way i feel for arsenal..its as simple as that. i know we should all be backing the manager and i do but some of his decisions have been mind boggling, i couldnt see the point in having no width against stoke by playing 4 CM (maybe even 3 with song really being a CB in general).

Joe
Joe

Really good article.

DC
DC

At Last! Someone that has spoken some sense!

Loz
Loz

@ Bob and Gooner, both of you have the nail on the head there. I kicked tables, punched walls and threw over a couple of green bins as soon as Aaron Lennon scored on Wednesday night, but that doesn’t mean I don’t love the club, because I certainly do – I even went into the Armoury today and invested in a scarf. It just means I’m not the best at dealing with frustration. That been said, I think it’s certainly debatable that we have been treated to ‘glory days’ for a matter of years, which is a cause for concern,… Read more »

Loz
Loz

P.S. Sanderson, decent article ‘n all that but you can’t see the future of a club by looking at a history book. Honestly, you teenagers.

Loz
Loz

P.P.S. Rizla is totally right, and I even got my fifteen minutes of fame having a text displayed on 606 after Saturday’s game for outlining the very same things.

Kudos to you for not being as stubborn as Mr Wenger, eh.

Gooner Chris

Jamie’s article proved a point before. You’re saying – if he’s a teenager, then it meanshe doesn’t have a right to talk about football. But it’s like saying Cesc doesn’t have the right to have his football talents respected, because he is young.

No matter what age, you can still be in possession of the facts.

The Brain

I respect J for being so mature and articulate (don’t get so happy) for his age. He has a right to his opinion no doubt. Good on you.

Loz
Loz

I’m 16, stop singing the guy’s praises. Bet you won’t take my points seriously now, will you.

Either way, Rizla should be writing the articles there’s no doubt about it. The man’s Arsecast material.

Marty Price

Hey I am half way around the world. Converted to loving Arsenal in the ’80’s by my asst. coach who is fomr Finchley. I sacrifieced and did make it to Highbury, and I am a lifetime season ticket holder to the San Francisco 49ers. Not thast is a club in misery as the new ownership is clueless and we get stomped by our opponents. WEnger is a GREAT coach, but he needs to look deeply within himself at this point. He lagged last year by not building his back four, or replacing Gilberto or Flamini. Denilson is not physically strong… Read more »

Mouhsin
Mouhsin

Wenger needs to be our new General Manager… I think you all stress about his qualities keeping our club alive. I think he should focus on his best qualities and those are not motivating the players or rotating the team but exactly as you say keeping the club alive. I know you are all going to hate me for this and probably going to say “Wenger knows and all that stuff”. First of all I respect Wenger for the vision and football style he brought us. But at the moment the team is lacking experience and we can’t afford to… Read more »

iJemz
iJemz

Well I’m 12, so I’m not a teenager ;D, also great article, I myself gave been a football fan ever since I was around 4-5 since my dad plays for Colchester.