January, Arshavin, and the Possible Unstoppable Squad

The necessity for taking advantage of the transfer window this January has always been obvious, however it has certainly never before been this requisite.

A team lacking a defensive partner to match Cesc’s guile, a defense looking for a dominant center back, and doubts surrounding Ade’s commitment, Nasri’s integration, and the injury woes of Rosicky and Eduardo has always looked fragile at best, however in this time of turmoil the addressing of these concerns in the form of proven stars is the only sufficient answer.

With Sunday’s clash with Liverpool now effectively ruling out our brightest star, the time for Wenger to break character and splurge is most definitely now. Comparing the squad now to the one of the same time last year is embarrassing, as well as starkly revealing of just how much a shadow team our Club has descended into.

The only major losses of last year were Hleb and Flamini. In Flamini, Cesc had a partner who, although not blessed with great size, had bountiful courage and enthusiasm. To many fans of Arsenal, it seemed as if replacing Flamini from without was obvious and a foregone conclusion. Wenger, ever the believer in the talent of youth, decided to replace from within. So far, that replacement has been fruitless and punishing. It must be said, however, that Song and Denilson have most definitely improved, and will in time become respectable.

The contribution of Hleb was less concrete, it seems. A player blessed with great dribbling, he seemingly had an allergy to the idea of shooting. He was a player as mesmerizing as he was frustrating, a seemingly replaceable player because of his lack of goals. This past summer, there was great optimism for the next squad, and rightly so, what with Wenger’s statements of bringing his chequebook to the Euro’s.

In hindsight, such optimism was naivete at best. Once again, Wenger decided to promote from within, while only buying youth. Fast tracking to the present, we see how utterly dreadful his plan was. I admire Wenger and realize the revolution he has brought English soccer, however I see the blind stubborness and arrogance he also possesses.

The simple fact is that Wenger has not been crippled enough to change tactics. Put simply, he runs the Club. However, with fans starting to turn, the board has quite nearly demanded that he spend money this winter. With Cesc’s omission, our season has gone from bad to worse, to near incomprehensible. Wenger is on his last leg, and must act fast to save his once sparkling reputation.

In my opinion, the solution for the loss of Flamini and Hleb can be a compromise between buying and promoting from within, although a slight change in tactics is needed.

I propose the idea of a dutch-style 4-3-3. Adebayor is easily capable of running the line himself, as well as providing an aerial target for crosses. Robin van Persie, ever the improviser, ever the arrogant yet immensely gifted player Wenger loves, would naturally fit into the team at right forward/midfield, exactly as he does so successfully.

The left forward/midfield spot is filled with the player with whom the Club has been constantly linked with recently, Andrei Arshavin. He has speed, dribbling, passing, and a deadly eye for goal. Not only would he fit the Wenger model of an outside player coming inside, he would also open space for exploitation by drawing defenders onto him, exactly the same job Hleb performed. Also, his eye for goal would be something Hleb did not have, and his speed would provide Arsenal the ability to counter-attack.

In the center of midfield, I recommend one player playing a highly-advanced attacking midfield role, with two holding midfielders behind. Obviously, that attacking role would be filled by Cesc, but for now Nasri is more than talented enough to deputise. It is the position he quite often plays for France.

For the two holding midfield players, I suggest promoting from within, and allowing Denilson and Song to play this role. Denilson and Cesc could even be interchangeable, as Cesc has a propensity for dropping deep.

In defense, Clichy, Djourou, Gallas, and Sagna would become a well-marshalled backline, as long as there is a capable defense wall in front of them.

Obviously, my suggestions are merely suggestions. However, Wenger would not have to go on a spending spree. He also would not stunt any player’s growth, as there are still three center midfield positions open.

The final squad would look like:

Almunia
Sagna – Djourou – Gallas – Clichy
Denilson – Song
Fabregas
Arshavin – van Persie
Adebayor

Wenger is definitely smart enough to come up with the right scheme, but whether or not he swallows his pride remains to be seen.

athlon
athlon

And Nasri?

athlon
athlon

So, Gooner Chris, do you see realistic chance to sign Arshavin in the winter?

Gooner Chris

Arshavin is in very similar frame to Nasri.

They both have the same kind of attributes, with Arshavin slightly ahead of Nasri on the goal-margin.

Despite that, Arshavin’s proven versatility could be the reason why Wenger would want him.

Let’s wait until the end of Jan, I’m sure we’ll bring a top quality player in. 🙂

Joe
Joe

I’d say swap Nasri and Arshavin round via condition, morale and performances in training.

abc
abc

his agent has confirm the rumour is a rubbish……….

Edited by Admin: No he hasn’t. He’s confirmed that there wasn’t a meeting at the training ground last week. He doesn’t deny that Arshavin could be joining either Arsenal or Spurs.

athlon
athlon

Ok, but I think Samir must stay at Arsenal, but unfortunately he is injured too much times. And it’s a big disadvantge of him. But he is better player than Arshavin. I’d prefer a 4-4-2 formation:

Almunia
Sagna-Toure-Djourou-Clichy
Arshavin-Denilson-Fabregas-Nasri
van Persie and Adebayor.

We need Nasri and we need Arshavin because the Russian can play as striker, and he is experienced, and Nasri can turn a match.

Paulinho
Paulinho

I like the system but lets get this straight, the only thing Arshavin would be better than Hleb at is maybe providing more goal threat.

He would not ‘draw’ defenders towards him because he hasn’t got the ball holding ability. He is clueless in this area. He is a player that comes alive in the box and has the surge to get past one or maybe two players and get a shot away. He is not a Hleb type tricksy playmaker.

I like the rest of the system and team apart from Denilson. He’s shite regardless of system.

Gooner Chris

Definitely mate.

I wasn’t saying we should sell Nasri. Both Arshavin and Samir would work really well together in my opinion.

JB
JB

Looking at players wenger has signed in the past it always looked like he wanted to play this formation with our abundance of central players and the so called wingers we sign being players that cut in from the respective sides. I like it. Although i don’t believe song is seen as a centre back in the long term so we would still need another DM
What about Kolo?

athlon
athlon

Or Nasri can play alongside Cesc.

Wenger's Biggest Critic (and Friend)
Wenger's Biggest Critic (and Friend)

Arshavin will be top but lets see after Aston Villa where we are. The guy lacks stamina but is one of the most effective players.

s dot
s dot

hi gooners! i think nasri shud play cmf, i dont kno y wenger doesnt giv him a chance. im a big arsenal and marseille fan and i kno what im talking about. in france the call him the new zidane but i personally think he is the new riquelme jus that his got more pace and he is a beta dribbler than riquelme. against villa, if he doesnt play cmf, i think he shud be given a free role because he thrives when he is playin a free role because i kno denilson and song will be losing posession and… Read more »

Jaaack
Jaaack

I’d spunk in my boxers if Arshavin arrived at the Emirates but I dont think he will.

Please prove me wrong!

Gooner Chris

Who’s to say you don’t do that anyway, Jack? 😛

fabianski
hoyte nordveit djourou gibbs
wilkshere ramsey song vela
bendtner simpsons

let them play against villa

Gooner Chris

LOL stupido.

Nice to see that you live up to your name.

stupido

im 16. n i adores arsenal. in my place, im probably the biggest fan n everybody knows that. i’d like to be arsenal’s medical team n treat players like fabregas vp walcott rosicky n nasri.

Shaun Madmax
Shaun Madmax

I think you could be right by playing Nasri through the middle, but i would love to see an experienced defencive midfielder come into the squad. Someone who knows the English and become effective striaght away! How about Scott Parker? Would also like to Michael Owen,think he relish playing for a top 4 team! He will be a free agaent in the summer, i am sure Newcastle will take what eva they can get for him now! Think Parker and Fabregas in the middle would form a good partnership. Owen, Van Persie and Adebayor up front!! ALUMINIA SAGNER TOURE DJOURUO… Read more »

bobby

sagna-toure-djouru-clichy

toure jr

fabregas

arshavin-nasri/rosicky-van P

Adebayor

That’s how Arsene should buy and play!

thanks gooner chris.
can u tell me why those players cant win against villa. answer me.

Gooner Chris

Sure. For the simple reason – that team is too inexperienced. It’s basically similar to the starting XI that lost to Burnley. Do you really think Hoyte could cope with the threat of Ashley Young? I can’t see it. Vela doesn’t have the pace to play on the left hand side. He will always cut in – just like Nasri does. Young Wilshere doesn’t have the physicality to muscle it out in the Premier League. He needs a couple of years to develop still. Do you really think Le Boss will play that team? He will go for the strongest… Read more »

iJemz

Judging by the performances, I think the young team play better on some occasions. Wigan are a premiership side, they managed the beat them 3-0.

Gooner Chris

Aston Villa are on a different level to Wigan mate.

The Young Guns showed their colours with that loss against Burnley. They aren’t as good as everyone seems to think they are.

gooner chris,

i like ur blog

thanks

gooner chris,
how old r u?
do u live in london?

Gooner Chris

No problems feller. 😉

TheBrain

They’re getting better and the balance too so it’s a shame Fab got injured as he was providing that shield along with Song but still dictating. Djourou’s mobility is a plus.
I think we can win tomorrow IF we don’t get too bogged down by Aston Villa’s game plan. Inexperience I feel is not as big a problem as the start of the season.
If we are winning the game or in the FA Cup maybe I’d like to see Ramsey play behind the striker.

stupido

hey gooner chris, comment no. 24, thats not me! hey stupid, im the real stupido, dont use my name. anyway, i want to know, do u get paid for these stuffs?

Ole Gunner
Ole Gunner

Funny enough, I like the idea of this formation. Where do Nasri & Rosicky fit in this? What about Walcott the latest saviour of England?

Michael
Michael

I think Nasri can play well in the middle, but I worry about injuries. If he goes down, then what? Again you have only Denilson, Diaby, and Ramsey.

stupido

lol chris, why aren’t u answering my questions?

my team,
almunia
sagna toure djourou clichy,
walcott fabregas denilson nasri arshavin,
rvp.
haha, that looks good. ps-i hate adebayor

cisel
cisel

Despite all the injuries I think we still have a capable squad only if AW plays the players in the right position. How many other teams will still be competing if they had our injuries? NONE That said I still think we should look in picking up a DM and Winger. Since AW for some unknown reason still does not give enough chances or trust the likes of Vela, Wilshire and Ramsey. I feel we are pretty strong in the back and front. 4Friday: Fabianski Sagna Gallas Djourou Clichy Song Nasri Denilson Vela VP Pboots I like to see fabianski… Read more »

stupido

i noticed that nobody prefered diaby.
i like that. can someone tell me why mr wenger always play him, why, he got ramsey, vela on the wings.

cris,
where r u mate, im starting to get bored

I would rather continue with the present squad than buy Arshavin for 20 million. For Christ sake, we are not father chrismas and are not going to spend 20 million on another Milan Baros.

Nasri can deputise for Fabrepass and we can get Inler, Yaya Toure, Veloso or even Alonso ( cup tied)for much more lesser price than over rated Arshavin.

Gooner Chris

I’m here, Stupido.

What do you want to know?

TheBrain

Let me say first thing Alonso and Toure unlikely to come. Inler maybe although he signed a contract in the summer while Veloso is also a maybe but his price no matter what his agent says will be surely too high.

Once again this matter will be best reserved talking about come January after the Villa, Portsmouth games.

Gooner Chris

Sporting are in financial trouble, so his price will probably be quite low.

As for Inler, well, you will have to rule him out. Like you mentioned, he signed a new three year deal last summer so a move seems far off.

Gunner Jillu
Gunner Jillu

Though in paper Chris it may seem a good idea in reality this does not work. 1. It woulld mean tht both Song and Denilson would have to drop to full back positions when Clichy and Sagna go wondering up the flanks leaving a big hole in the centre. 2. Van P is a striker, he is direct and fights hard for the ball but is not a bergkamp or Hleb, to put hm as a feeding payer would put in in a position wher he would hace to reinvent himself. 3. Arsenal have little width as it is, by… Read more »

athlon
athlon

Veloso wouldn’t be bad, but the Fiorentina want him as well. But I read this news today: http://tribalfootball.com/sporting-lisbons-veloso-loan-target-arsenal-218309

I don’t like Inler, so I’d prefer Afellay.

Gunner Jillu
Gunner Jillu

If eveey1 was fit ar Arsenal this would be our best team

Almunia

Clichy
Gallas
Toure/Djouru
Sagna

Nasri
Fabregas
Denilson
Rosicky

RVP
Ade

This is our best team however I see two week spots, centre hlaf and centre mid hence priority signings this Jan.

We also need a left sided midfielder as we have no cover for Nasri.

We have Rosicky and Walcott out so I do not think we have urgency on the right just a bit of luck, Eboue and Diaby can fill that role if need be

cesc is genous
cesc is genous

@ Cade…Sorry, don’t mean to be picky, but what you are suggesting, in terms of tactics, is a 4-2-1-2-1. The problem with this formation is it’s lack of width, something that already is seen in our current squad. It is a bit irresponsible to think that Song and Denilson can play effectively together, although they looked pretty good late in the Pool match. Neither posses the speed that is required of CDM that has to make up 50 yds to track back and provide cover for the back four. They both give the ball away much too cheaply still and… Read more »

Cade Roberts
Cade Roberts

Cesc is genous- Firstly, my formation gives us more width than the current one. It is a dutch-style 4-3-3. I’m not going to get caught up in the pedantics but it is the exact system that Holland uses. It is not irresponsible to think two players can essentially share one role. Denilson is a decent passer, has a good engine, and can tackle adequately. Flamini wasn’t an awesome tackler, he just pressured a lot. Song provides height as well as strength in midfield. With two players sharing the role, very rarely will they be required to quickly make up 50… Read more »

s dot
s dot

play nasri as cmf, vela on the left and ebuoe on the right..against villa

s dot
s dot

u need pace to negat the pace of aston villa. i bet u eboue will giv a lot more this tym.

GOONER4EVER
GOONER4EVER

IF EVERYONE IS FIT MY TEAM WOULD BE
ALMUNIA
SAGNA GALLAS,DJOROU/TOURE,CLICHY
FABREGAS,WALLCOT NASRI,ROSICKY
R.V.P,ADEBAYOR
AS IT STANDS NOW I PREFER:ALMUNIA
SAGNA,GALLAS,DJORUE,CLICHY
DENILSON,NASRI,RAMSEY,SONG
R.V.P,VELA
A HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

arragh
arragh

Arshavin is weak, Marek Hamsik from Napoli would be great option, but probably unreal.

Gary Murray
Gary Murray

Jimmy Bullard in for CM, then to holding role after Fab returns. he provides depth, leadership, expierennce and is English

Cade Roberts
Cade Roberts

arragh-

Arshavin is not weak. He is rather strong for his build. He is decent with his back to goal, which isn’t very option, obviously as he’s not a target man, but he does possess strength.

Gary-

I second that. I wanted him before Cesc got injured, as I think they could dovetail into two box-to-box CMs, or play off a defensive base of Song or Denilson at CDM, but definitely now his quality would be of good use.

Freddy Mayer
Freddy Mayer

Merry Christmas to all Arsenal fans. In a year I would see the start 11 like this:
Almunia/Fabianski
Sagna Toure Gallas Clichy

Walcott Nasri Fabregas Arshavin

RVP Adebayor
This team would be excellent tough we need a tough DM player with the same qualities like Flamini. So lets beat Villa !!