Ex-Gunner Wiltord Praises Arsenal Structure

Team

Rennes forward Sylvain Wiltord has praised the level of workmanship that goes on behind-the-scenes at Arsenal and admits that the Gunners have the best set-up in European football.

Former Highbury-favourite Wiltord, who clocked up over 170 games for Arsene Wenger’s side, was the most expensive signing in Arsenal’s history. The man himself admits that the pressure put upon him was so high, the focus-factor proved crucial.

Speaking to SoFoot magazine, Wiltord revealed all:

“Obviously it was different [than France]. When you arrive in London, you feel so important as a player of the Club, even if you are 20 years old and you are the best footballer in the world, you have to be serious – there’s no messing about.”

The recent William Gallas captaincy saga is almost long forgotten now, despite that, Wiltord feels that Arsenal’s all round team set-up is the best around Europe.

“That situation [Gallas captaincy] was unfortunate. When I was there, the older players didn’t need to intimidate us. But once the young player made his place in first team, you find it definitely more competitive, obviously.”

Gooner Talk will continue to bring you interviews with former Arsenal players. Stay tuned to the blog for more opinion pieces and transfer news on the best club in world football.

GoonerDaniel
GoonerDaniel

Gj Chris 🙂

ali
ali

thanks gooner chris , top blog you have here , any new inside updates on Arshavin ?

Gooner Chris

Cheers guys.

Not at the moment, ali. Arsenal haven’t budged on their £10m bid so far, I have a feeling we’ll still sign him though.

Adamski243
Adamski243

You think we’ll bid again then Chris?

I wouldn’t put it past us to be stubborn and not budge.

Gooner Chris

I agree, but at the end of the day, Wenger said he wants an ‘exceptional talent’. The only one Arsenal seem to have concrete interest in is Arshavin, I don’t think we’ll let this one slip away.

athlon
athlon

But I really hope that Arshavin is just one option. Because if we failed with the latest bid we would be in a big trouble. I prefer Afellay.

Samir

On sky sports news, Zenit has said they’re keeping all talks with Arsenal secret, so theres probably negotiation going on, or they’ve agree’d terms and are just trying to agree on a bid!, I hope we can get him this week before Hull.

chris
chris

i’ve read a few things saying he is ‘on the brink’ on joining, i just hope that this is true..zenit should realise that clubs will not pay 20 or even 18million for him (well maybe cityy) and therefore they should accept an offer of about 12 with perhaps some add-ons to make about 15 million or so. fingers crossed..

dptaylor
dptaylor

great article chris btw. I have a lot of faith in the Arsenal structure, I love the youngsters that are coming through and watching their excellent talent (Merida,Vela and Wilshere just to name a few) But we are meant to be fighting for the title and the only way this is going to happen is if Wenger can find a balance. We can’t keep saying next year, next year and then “next year”. We should be up there fighting with the likes of Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool. Not with Aston Villa and Everton. Wenger needs to stop being so… Read more »

RVP
RVP

“In some games last season, we played football which was very similar to that of Arsenal,” said Arshavin, who also appears well aware that his favoured No 10 shirt is already taken by William Gallas. He added: “I would prefer my present No 10 but in the team where I hope to move it’s not vacant. So I’m ready for any number they are going to offer me.”
Surely he is on his way?

chris