Upson bigs up former team-mate Bendtner

Matthew Upson has been full of praise for his ex Birmingham team-mate Nicklas Bendtner, suggesting that he’s got plenty more time to improve in an Arsenal shirt.

The West Ham defender was speaking before last Saturday’s game and complimented the Dane on his recent goal-run.

“I know Nicklas relatively well, He’s progressed as a player over the last 18 months. I played with him at Birmingham for a short while when he went on loan there.

“You know what you are going to get from him. He’s a big physical presence who can bring the ball down well, and he’s also a threat in the air. He’s also got good feet as well, but he probably needs that little bit of consistency and clinical finishing in front of goal, but he’s still young and, given the opportunities, he’s shown he can take them.”

john
john

MORE LIKE UPSON down BENDTner LOL

janine butcher
janine butcher

JOHN I DONT GET YOU?

I HAD TO RACK MY BRAINS I WAS LIKE WHEN WERE THESE TWO EVER TEAM MATES?! BUT OF CORSE WHEN HE WENT ON LOAN…

THIS IS THE STRONGEST TEAM I RECKON WE COULD PLAY AGAINST BARCA, WHO AGREES?

_______________ALMUNIA_____________

EBOUE___CAMPBELL___VERMALEEN__CLICHY

_________________SONG_______________

ROSICKY__FABREGAS_____ARSHAVIN__NASRI

________________BENDTNER_____________

Jack
Jack

Bendtner is still young and I’ve got every bit of faith in him but I can understand why some fans get frustrated with him. At times he’s wasteful but I think his finishing has come on from last season. The lad’s improving, there’s no doubt, but I think he needs to work on his passing. Time and time again his passing lets him down and it slows our play. Give him a few years and he’ll be a beast but thats just it, people don’t want to wait.

Brengun
Brengun

I must admit I have been frustrated with Bendtner’s performances this season but in retrospect he was more frustrating last season and you can’t knock his confidence after his performance against Burnley , to turn out a few day’s later against Porto and get a hat’trick (I think it was Porto anyway) shows that he is brimming with confidence in his ability, I have also been impressed by his work rate, he is in peak condition physically, I just wished he was as good as he think’s he is cos if he was we would not be underdogs against Barca..

albanian gooner
albanian gooner

the formation is not our best 11 mate and not even 4-3-3,dont u know that we are playing with 3 players upfront. The line up against Barcelona will be like this:
———-Almunia————–
Sagna–Campbell-Vermalen–Clichy
————-Song—————
—Cesc—————–Diaby—
—Nasri—-Bendner—-Arshavin–

Maybe Wenger will decide to play Eboue instead of Sagna or play him at the left instead of Nasri in the last 15 min. And of course Gallas will play if he is avaliable.

damstar
damstar

team for barca: rosicky will replace arshavin against birmingham, sagna will play birmingham amd also walcott will play. put that in mind, the team for barca will be: almunia eboue campbell vermaelen clichy fabregas song diaby nasri bendtner arshavin i can bet it with anyone that this is gonna be the team for barca….. team for birmingham will be like: almunia sagna song sylvestre clichy fabregas denilson diaby walcott bendtner rosicky eduardo will replace bendntner in the second half, eboue will replace walcott in the secondhalf esp if we are winning and wanna keep the lead, then maybe arshavin may… Read more »

Hirvesh
Hirvesh

Almunia
Eboue-Gallas(assuming he’s fit or else Campbell)-Verma-Clichy
Song
Cesc – Diaby
Nasri-B52-Arsha

janine butcher
janine butcher

I DUNNO BOYS… DONT THINK WE SHOULD PLAY A 433 WOULD YOU FANCY BARCA COUNTERING AGAINST US WITH A 433?! YOU COULD ARGUE THEY WOULD THINK THE SAME HOWEVER I WOULD PREFER A 4-5-1

I JUST DONT KNOW THOUGH…I SOOOOO WANT TO WIN IT I THINK WE DESERVE IT!

damstar
damstar

i agree with u janine butcher… but if dat should be the case, i will prefer diaby to rosicky in your team just to be defensive a little and provide us with strenght and height cos we cant afford barca to score at the emirate if we have any chance of pushing this through against barcamessi. so i will agree with this formation as well:
almunia
eboue campbell vermaelen clichy
song
nasri fabregas diaby arshavin
bendtner
dont think gallas will make the first leg but maybe the secong leg at the nou camp where everything will be decided…

Dgob
Dgob

damster,

I agree with your selection except I think we might benefit from playing Walcott for his speed, work-rate and ability to track back. This would either mean omitting B53 or Nasri. Given the opponent and my assessment of Theo’s potential, I’d probably sacrifice B52 and bring him on if things need changing.

My choice:

Almunia,
Eboue, Campbell, Verminator, Clichy
Song, Diaby
Cescs
Walcott, Nasri, Arshavin

This formation and selection seems to me to offer speed, steel and guile: a surely winning combination against Barca

COYG

AmericanGunnerFan
AmericanGunnerFan

Bendtner’s play this season reminds me of how Song’s play developed last year: not very good at the beginning, but improving as the season went on, with flashes of brilliance towards the end, but very inconsistent. Losing time to injury at a point where he would have seen a lot of playing time with RvP out hurt his development and cost the team. But you can see the improvement that Bendtner has made over the course of the season. He’ll need to take a big step up next year, but I think he’s on the verge of becoming a star.… Read more »

gooner charles

im gona jus say something completely unrelated to Bendtner, Arshavin shhh!! that dude needs to shut up and just perform how he goes from being inconsistant on the pitch to talking bout the need for new players at this stage of the season everyone knwz we need them but seriously to be talking about it now when players like Vermaelen,Campbell,Aluminia,Fabregas and even Denilson are talking about how they wana fight for the title is jus ridiculous, being one of the senior players to our side he should be motivating the other young players i don’t get it seriously whats up… Read more »

an arse worth having
an arse worth having

Arshavin’s a master at the mind games. Its probably just to take the pressure off us. I’d be very surprised if its a sincere attack on Wenger or the team. He’s also very outspoken generally. E.g. He said he thought Song should start in defence against Birmingham “so we will not have a big problem in defence.” If you take that literally he’s having a big swipe at Sylvestre.

cal
cal

Don’t believe what you read in the papers

arsenal4ever
arsenal4ever

these quotes from the sun about Arsh are wrong. He said something completely different in the official matchday programm!!!

noko
noko

If we play 4-3-3 against Barca, then they’ll kill us, because there’ll be so much space for them to play. I think we’ll play 4-5-1, give them no space in midfield, and attach them as quickly as we can. Just the same way we played against Milan, R. Madrid and Juve.

I also think Sagna will play in defence instead of eboue.

cesctwin
cesctwin

there is no way at all we can leave Sagna on the bench for the barca game, we can rely on Eboue defending against the best attact in the world.

Boddah
Boddah

So now everyone knows how to play against Barcelona :). I’m preeeety sure Wenger will get it right 😉

cesctwin
cesctwin

there is no way at all we can leave Sagna on the bench for the barca game, we can’t rely on Eboue defending against the best attact in the world.

cesctwin
cesctwin

there is no way at all we can leave Sagna on the bench for the barca game, we can’t rely on Eboue defending against the best attack in the world.

Lagooner Beach
Lagooner Beach

>>… He said he thought Song should start in defence against Birmingham “so we will not have a big problem in defence.” If you take that literally he’s having a big swipe at Sylvestre.<< Unless he's referring to Song partnering Sylvestre, since Sol will most likely be saved for the Barca game. The problem with these kinds of quotes is they're fairly ambiguous. As for the line-up, it basically picks itself. Assuming Gallas isn't fit, Sol and Vermaelen have to start. Clichy is the only option at LB, and Sagna always starts the big games. Cesc, Song, and Diaby are obviously Wenger's preferred midfield trio when available. Bendtner is the only option up front, and I can't see Arshavin not starting. The only question mark is the right side of the front 3. My guess is Nasri, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Eboue get the nod. _______Almunia______ Sagna_Sol_Verm_Clichy ___Cesc_Song_Diaby___ Nasri_Bendtner_Arshavin Of course this all goes out the window if Wenger decides to play Song at the back.

pete
pete

I loove eboue but anyone who thinks he will start instead of sagna against barcelona is a tad delusional..someone even had nasri,rosicky,shava,nicklasssss,cesc in the team….?????????
its not hull we are playing…The team will be presuming gallas is injured..
Manuel,Sagna,Sol,Tommy,Gael,Diaby,Cesc,Song,Nasri,Rosicky,Bendtner..

I know I left Shava out but I don’t how Gael would survive with Messi on his own without Shava’s help. If Super Tom plays he will help Gael out considerably…

GoonerDareMKD
GoonerDareMKD

pete I’m sure that arshavin will play against barca he is the only one that can score goal of nothing especially in big match like this, and you are right messi will be a big trouble for clichy that’s why i think wenger will move arshavin on the right wing and nasri on the left wing to protect clichy also i think song will be put on the left Dm position to cover clicy also.

gary
gary

the team for the barca match will be almunia,sagna,gallas(if fit),TV,Clichy,eboue,song,nasri,diaby,arshavin,bendtner if gallas is not fit song will move back and denilson will come in, no way will arsene play sol against barca, that could be suicidal. Arsene will play sol and song in defence this weekend which will cement songs place in the defence if willie does’nt make it. Sol is needed for the premier league were it suits him.

pete
pete

didnt think about that…spot on mate…I knew we couldnt do without him…

BillyGallas
BillyGallas

Shava will start against Barca…but i think Tomas will start instead of Nasri.. He is more experienced than Naz and will do more defensive duty. I agree with Pete that Shava shouldnt play to help Clichy but his threat limits Dani Alves…Btw i think walcott could be key and Wenger might start him… they would have to go into a shell…at the camp nou if Theo is up for it it could be carnage…the amount of room they give is disgraceful… But lets just look at Birmingham for the moment…it is AS big a game..3 points is imperative…come on you… Read more »

janine butcher
janine butcher

why the hell does our defence all of a sudden look like it is really weak?

or is it just me fretting over barca’s strike force??