Senderos joins Fulham on 3-year deal

Philippe Senderos has joined Fulham on a free transfer after agreeing a 3-year deal with Roy Hodgson’s men.

The 25-year-old is out-of-contract at the Emirates Stadium and he had already decided his future lies away from Arsenal in January. Senderos joined Arsenal at the end of 2002 from Servette, but he has played just over 50 games for the Gunners – including the run to the Champions League final in the 05/06 season.

He spent some of last season on loan at Everton but David Moyes decided not to pursue a permanent deal despite several astute performances for the Toffees.

Hodgson told Fulham’s official website:

“Philippe is a player that I have admired for a very long time since he captained Switzerland to the UEFA Under-17 Championship in 2002.

“He is a strong defender who has great aerial presence at both ends of the field and has a superb work ethic which is a vital component for any team’s success. I am very much looking forward to working with Philippe next season.”

Contrary to reports, Mark Schwarzer will not be coming to Arsenal as part of the deal for Senderos. The Aussie has been touted as one of Wenger’s likely top targets as he searches for an experienced goalkeeper to fill in while he waits for his existing shot-stoppers to come good.

Meanwhile, Senderos is likely to be the first of many centre back’s leaving the Gunners this summer, with Sol Campbell and William Gallas already out of contract.

Is Senderos’ departure good news? Leave your views in the comments section below.

terry
terry

i wish him all the best he will really want to take his revenge at drogba….
he will become a very good def unger roy

Boy Better Know
Boy Better Know

thank fuck for that THE GUY REALLY IS SHIT I FEEL SORRY FOR THE FULLHAM FANS.

DB
DB

Good luck Swiss Tony. I met you a couple of times and you are a good bloke. You are now one of the many Ex Arsenal players that will get a standing ovation when you return to the grove. You never moaned or bitched in the press and for that others should take note.

(Oh and dont forget to mangle Drogba)

Oskar
Oskar

Good luck Big Phil! I always believed in you and I hope you will make a big name for yourself at Fulham (just not against Arsenal)

AmeriGoon
AmeriGoon

Good for him. I hope he gets games. I know he’s not better than Hangeland, but I don’t even know if he’s better than Aaron Hughes and Chris Baird who play CB, but also other positions. I wish him the best, but if he can’t ever get a game for Everton, that really speaks to a serious drop in form – confidence probably has something to do with that.

gt
gt

Good defender with a likable character, but not at a level to start for the Gunners week in week out. Best wishes to him when he’s not playing against us.

Toby
Toby

Senderos had some really good seasons before a bad spell of games occured.
After that he never regained the confidence he used to have.
I guess the lot of flack and abuse he has received Arsenal from “fans” since then hasn’t helped him either…
I wish him all the best and hopefully he will get SUPPORT from the Fulham supporters!
Good luck, Phil!

Boy Better Know
Boy Better Know

fulham fans are dreading the thought of him fucking up there team and defence.

American Gooner
American Gooner

Wish him best of luck.

The Left Hand Of HENRY
The Left Hand Of HENRY

god i really thought he had what it takes… This is a real pity, goodluck Swiss Tony

an arse worth having
an arse worth having

So Wenger really meant it when said he’s going to strengthen the defence..

nutcracker
nutcracker

Could this mean that Hangeland is on his way out at Fulham?

Ricky
Ricky

A step in the right direction for both us & senderos.

clockendjim
clockendjim

I think Senderos was very underrated; I bet he plays some stormers for Fulham now that he has left us. Whereas I would have wished we had signed a class partner for Vermaelen last season, I would far have preferred to have seen Senderos alongside him than the fading Silvestre. It would have been worth one more try with him with all our injuries and if he had had a good run in the team then his promise may have been fulfilled. Anyway its time for a clearout with hopefully Gallas & Silvestre seeking employment elsewhere, but please lets see… Read more »

John
John

Just want to wish him the best of luck for his future.I know he never made the grade at Arsenal,but I’m pretty sure that underneath lies a half decent centre half,I only hope we do’nt regret it.

gooner james
gooner james

hopefully this is the first of 2 deals between wenger and hodgson with hangeland comin to us.

an arse worth having
an arse worth having

John Cross, mirror journo reckons Hangeland and Cole won’t happen, but that Schwarzer will be the other bit if business between Wenger and Hodgson.

arsenal4ever
arsenal4ever

John Cross not right in the Cole case. He will sign his contract after the WC it is still said!!

Afro Man
Afro Man

DANG we sold senderos!!

Thank fuck! LOL

I couldnt stand dat bald clown!!

gun
gun

i don’t know, maybe he’s a little underrated…
good luck to him, wish him more first team football.

Gunningooner
Gunningooner

FABREGAS SCORED!!! but noone seems to have put it up on the site…..