van Persie requests squad number change for new season

Arsenal frontman Robin Van Persie has asked for his squad number to be changed for the new 2010/11 season, it has emerged.

The Dutchman, who will be playing in his first World Cup final on Sunday, is believed to want the number 10 made vacant by William Gallas ahead of the new season, becoming the first attacking player to take that number since Arsenal legend and countryman Dennis Bergkamp retired in 2006.

Bergkamp took Van Persie under his wing when the latter made his move from Feyernoord as a 20 year old and now he could be set to take the famous number 10 of his former mentor.

Check here for details on how to change your order if you have already pre-ordered a van Persie #11 kit for next season.

Thanks to ‘Kololej’ for letting us know about this.

Kololej
Kololej

Yeah well researched… I gave you that one.

Edit: Much appreciated mate, I’ve mentioned you at the bottom of the article.

BKK
BKK

nice! give it to him!

Gooner9
Gooner9

From one Dutch legend to another in the making!

Steven
Steven

No big deal though I would be more concerned about staying fit throughout the season if I were RvP.And am I the only one who thinks he would be better off with his current number and let Arshavin have the ‘Number 10’? What do I know anyway, whatever the number RvP, stay fit just for this season, score loads of goals and end this trophy drought, ok? Cheers to you on your qualification for the WC finals…now go ahead and win the cup!

goonerjon
goonerjon

ROBIN VAN PERFECT #10

Gooner
Gooner

Do u know for sure that he requested the number 10 jersey????
i hope he gets it and he obvioulsy deserves it more than gallas

MnM
MnM

@Kololej: ‘Well researched’? I knew about it a few hours ago.

bob
bob

Good to see one of our more experienced players with his mind on his future with Arsenal, instead of some other team he wants to join.

itai
itai

what about those who have bout a van persie number 11 shirt?

Aicher
Aicher

who plays no 10 at real madrid?

Oskar
Oskar

Give it to Arshavin instead

Dadadwee
Dadadwee

Give him the number – he’s one of the few who could aspire to Bergkamp’s genius – over here in thee States, he’s the most admired Arsenal player – we’re not sure about Cesc – he seems to waiver in his loyalties. Van Persie’s a stand up dude. Go you Gunners!!!!

Tommo
Tommo

I’d prefer 11. It suits him better.

badman
badman

RVP although u does ten plz dont take it. leave it for Fabregas if he stays cuz i dont like him in a number 4 shirt but if he goes then it is urs

Ricky
Ricky

@bob:

Totally agree mate!! The question id wanna ask is does he really deserve it?? The guys talent is unquestionable but he cannot stay fit so if you ask me I say no but now he’s asked for it i cant see wenger saying no to one of he’s star players as it could give him an extra confidence boost.. We all see what happen to walcott when he got titi’s shirt #… (oh yh, nothing….. lol)

Gooner
Gooner

@badman: he chose the number 4 shirt becuase of his ‘idol’ Guordiola … we might as well let him keep it or else he could leave
theres nothing wrong with a center midfeild wearing #4

arsene wenger
arsene wenger

robin should not worry about number, just worry about his body and his form, when he can stay fit for 50 games a season and score 25 goals a season he can talk numbers, but i say give it to jacky boy so when he comes back from bolton it will be like aajor boost for him ,like saying we rate you now take your chance

GUN711
GUN711

truthfully i like the number 11 and i was going to get the new arsenal shirt with van persie on it. =( anyways i might have to have someone else on the back now. maybe fabregas since this might be his last season with us.

Gooner Fan
Gooner Fan

I am not bothered by numbers normally, but feel it was a mistake by Theo to take 14 after Henry because he hasn’t lived up to it. Why add pressure? I agree with those that say Van Persie should try to focus on staying fit! Everyone else coming back from WC will need 4 weeks rest – I suggest giving him 8. It will be worth it in the long run.

simon

how about a number 1 shirt we might actually hav a chance of winning if that happend!

fan
fan

should be Cesc if he wants it or ARSHAVINNN

gooner77
gooner77

RVP can live up to a number 10s as long as he stays fit enough. I do agree that he has shown far more loyalty than Cesc so props to Robin. I also found a video of a very young RVP in Feyenoord in which he wore the number 10. At the end he also professed his dream to play in Arsenal (or Barca)… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfkqByBnmn8

Jammie
Jammie

Fabgooner
Fabgooner

No. 11 suits him. Besides, no. 11 is a prestigious shirt no. too. Why does he want to change it?

Anyone think that Bendtner will get 11 now? 😛

jsp
jsp

No way give it to Gabregas, can’t wait for that daigo to leave. I hope he and Barcelona rot in hell. Give it to RvP and good luck to him!!! Bergkamp is a great model to aspire to, not some greasy shitbag called Gladiola or whatever shite name he went under!!!

jsp
jsp

As for Arseshavings, can we put him in Fabregas’s suitcase when he pisses off back to Spain???

RashGooner
RashGooner

Arshavin asked 4 the number wen he came coz he wore it @ his old club, so am thinking y dont we do the little man justice and reunite him with his favourite shirt number. I like Arsha and that is a small gesture that would motivate him to do wonders 4 us wen the season starts. What do you say guys?

Jaygooner
Jaygooner

Give RVP the 10 shirt, its fitting a dutchman wears it. Arshavin can have 11 so he feels a bit taller.

John
John

Guys
do you think what number he has on hes back has any relavence in todays squads

the only reason they get a number each is purly for marketing to suck more money from us

who really gives a f— what number he wares

tommy no 10

DÖDÝ

Let Arshavin have jersey no. 10

DÖDÝ

I would prefer RvP 2 wear jersey no.9 instead as he wears in HOLLAND.GO GET TROPHYS IT’S NOW OUR SEASON!!!!!

james
james

Give him shit, sooo overrated cant lead the line uptop to save his life Hope Real come in for him

Fatgingergooner
Fatgingergooner

Who gives a shit bout his number.
All we want is 25 goals a season on a regular basis, then he will be spoken about in the same breath as bergkamp.
Until that starts happening then he’s an average, injury prone, one footed striker.

Burnley Gooner
Burnley Gooner

Jammie said: It would be if RvP wears #10, Chamakh 11, Koscielny to wear #6. Also Clichy should wear #3, Sagna #2 and Abu Diaby #22.

If most of the above happened, it would greatly help my starting XI OCD. I suppose they would have to actually admit that Will-I-am had gone then.

Anyway, the Arsenal advice seems to say that the number will be changed automatically but also that they should be contacted if you want to change it!?!!

I hope that ordering an RVP shirt won’t hold up any bulk orders with the Emirates cup looming days after.

Jay-Jay

Hi guys.

I’ve just started up my own Arsenal blog and I’m unabashedly attempting to whore myself out around the Arsenal sites that are the most popular to try and drum up a bit of trade – so to speak.

I hope you don’t mind and I could use a few pointers and advice from you or your readers to help me get things rolling.

Thank you.

tom
tom

lol at all the arshavin fan boys. Arshavin doesnt have a patch on Van Persie who is our new Bergkamp.

zo
zo

Lets hope he stays fit, he can certainly attain Berkamp’s status. Their is no doubting his ability, he played well last night he didn’t score but his control and some of those passes last night had Bergkamp written all over them.

Burnley Gooner
Burnley Gooner

Jay-Jay, just make sure you can’t spell and that nothing you write is based on truth and you’ll fit right in.

Also, the shirt name ordering bit on the website has been changed to reflect RVP’s request. Gallas and Silvestre have become invisible, so I suppose that’s half a nod towards them having been released.

Jpossie
Jpossie

It will be interesting to see how we the fans treat Cesc on his return after publicly flirting with Barca. Adebayor was lambasted and run out of the club after his summer fling. Will Cesc have the armband? Will he be welcomed back with open arms? Why should he get any different reception to the one Adebayor got? hmmmmm Let’s see ….

Goonerpower
Goonerpower

For some of you sayin give it to arsharvin your all off your head. The No 10 shirt is a legend status god know why dirty gallas got it. Van the man has shown his loyalty BIG time by signing a new contract. He had the chance to move to virtually any club in the world but “I can’t imagine putting any other shirt” his words!!!! Arsharvin hmmmmmmmm got alot to do to prove his worth, he is class no doubt about!! But goes missin in some games

Goonerrob
Goonerrob

I thought Cesc took the number 4 shirt because of the guy who wore it before him Paddy

Marko
Marko

Give it to him he might end up captain if Cesc leaves and he’s a loyal guy. Plus he is a number 10. Thank god Gallas is gone.

damstar
damstar

its finally official gooner chris..he is on the arsenal website

damstar
damstar

Koscielny has signed is on the arsenal website guysz…..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

damstar
damstar

wow am the first one to spot this…am surprise no website had reported this….am happy!!!!

french gooner
french gooner

great news damstar.i hope we get a goal keeper soon.im not sure i want to see almunia at the emirates cup lol