Vermaelen: "I want to buy a house in London, but you never know how long you'll stay"

vermaelen

Arsenal captain Thomas Vermaelen has been speaking to the Belgian media this week and revealed he’s enjoying life as Gunners’ skipper and couldn’t be happier in London.

Vermaelen on London life:

“I can easily walk around in central London [without getting approached]. And if I leave my house with my girlfriend, we do not have paparazzi waiting for us outside the door!”

“I have a few people who take care of my business and my finances, but quite honestly, I’d rather take care of it myself. When I had to register my car, our liaisons officer offered to help me – but I preferred to do it myself, after finding out how to on the internet. And it also helps to have an English girlfriend!”

“I want to buy an apartment or a house in London, but you never know how long you’ll stay”.

On his own form:

“I will not say I’ve played amazing this season, but I’ve never been terrible either. That is my opinion! I’ve played more than 30 matches every season: you can not be at your best in every single game.

“The Premier League is very intense. You can not allow yourself to be less than 100 per cent. I have, for example, played eight games in a month. Rest is required after this. A winter break would be welcome, both physically and mentally. But we don’t have a choice, so we play.”

On being captain:

“I understand that to wear the armband is of enormous importance, but that does not mean that my performances should suffer. Wenger gave me the armband because he knows who I am and what I’m all about. I am not someone who yells in a locker room but I can if necessary to do so.

“I noticed that some players, once appointed captain, force it a bit [dig at William Gallas?]. I’ve tried to avoid from falling into this trap. Jan (Vertonghen), who is obviously already a leader at Tottenham, and myself learned a lot about leadership at Ajax. We do have different characters. He is noisier. Vince [Kompany] is very loud. His charisma and leadership are natural.”

King Beez
King Beez

Where is this part in his quotes?? ”but you never know how long you’ll stay”

GoonerEris
GoonerEris

I was thinking the same. Article headline designed to get hits.

fell
fell

Come on lads… It’s in the picture, he’s saying it to Wenger who in turn is telling him of a good estate agent

gaining
gaining

you morons “vermaelen on london life” is where he says it!

James
James

End of third paragraph idiots.

Aj
Aj

Seriously guys open your eyes and read again!!! So quick to jump to conclusions!

innocent
innocent

Verma u ar trying bt u nid 2 pt more efort bcu top 4 dis season wil b mircle 4 u guys, u play like if u dnt hv ur wkly pay

babakrdaemi
babakrdaemi

Fucking hell, not another captain looking to go (ha ha).

Whatever you do Arsene, don’t give Jack the armband.

fcArsenal

“…learned a lot about leadership at Ajax”

This is interesting.

Arsenal armband has been somewhat abused by Wenger over the years, giving it purely on the basis of trying to keep a player at the club.

Henry, Fabregas, Gallas, RVP however as much as it pains me I thought robin was a good leader.

John
John

As a Dutch speaker I can confirm that the two last paragraphs, on being a captain and on his own form, are from Het Nieuwsblad. They are okay-ish translations although not totally accurate***.I have not been able to find the source for the first paragraph, on London Life. Could you please let us know where you found the original interview?
***e.g. he said he is someone who does NOT yell in the dressing room.

trackback

[…] Related Article: “I want to buy a house in London, but you never know how long you’ll stay”, says Verma… […]

Enable Notifications    Ok No thanks