Arsenal are not in the best possible situation at the moment as one of the most crucial winter transfer windows in the clubs recent history is fast approaching.
The Gunners have failed to stand up to the big boys and they are in a dire need to change some things. Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez are leaving and January is Arsene Wenger’s last chance of cashing in on at least one of those two. Atletico Madrid, fresh from their transfer ban have been called favourites to win the German’s signature. Other potential suitors for the midfielder include Manchester United.Wenger will not want to sell one of his prized assets to a direct rival. The boss has seen his defense falter this season and he may need to get reinforcements there. Given that Atletico are in for Mesut Ozil, Wenger might go for a player that he was looking to tie down in the summer. That player is Uruguayan centre half- Jose Gimenez.
Why the deal is possible
- Gimenez has fallen down below Stefan Savic in the Atletico Madrid pecking order. The centre back has been brilliant ever since he broke into the scene. Arsenal play with three centre backs now and will be able to give him enough game time. That should appeal to him.
- The Uruguayan has reportedly said that playing in the Premier League is “a dream” for him.
- The player’s contract runs out this season. Given that he is unhappy with the minutes he is getting, Atletico will want to sell him before he can leave for free. They are in a similar condition with Gimenez to us with Alexis or Ozil.
Why the deal makes sense
- Arsenal are defensively fragile. A guy like Gimenez may be exactly what the doctor ordered. Arsenal need a new signing in January to boost things. Signing him would solve it all.
- It solves the Mesut Ozil problem. We do not have to sell to Manchester United. We get something worthwhile in return. In today’s market 30 million for the assist monger is daylight robbery
Arsene Wenger is wary about the possibilities and he may go in for his man. However, the boss is known for not going big in winter.
Share the post "The January transfer that makes perfect sense for Arsenal"