Willock involved in a car accident the day before Arsenal’s 0-0 draw against Leeds

Joe Willock was involved in a car accident the day before Arsenal’s 0-0 draw against Leeds United, according to the Daily Mail.

The Arsenal academy graduate lost control of his car as he sped around a bend on the way to training. His car swerved across three lanes of traffic and then hit the end of a crash barrier. His rear wheel spun off up the slip road and his car, now on three wheels, ended up in the bushe but managed to remain upright. 

The 21 year old is understood to have been shaken by the incident but was unharmed. The crash occurred at 2:14 pm on Saturday, just a day before Arsenal travelled to Elland Road to take on Marcelo Bielsa’s Leeds United. As a result of the accident, Willock was presumably late to training but was still in the starting lineup for the Gunners the following day.

He put in an ineffective display against the newly promoted side and was taken off in the 57th minute. 

An unnamed individual, who was right behind Willock’s car when the accident occurred, said he approached the Arsenal man and asked him if he was okay. Willock responded in the affirmative and when the individual asked if he should call the police, the 21 year old said he had already called his brother. 

The English midfielder lives with his two brothers Chris, who plays for Queens Park Rangers, and Matty, who plays for Gillingham in League one. 

On the accident, the unnamed witness said:

“I didn’t know who he was. He was a bit shaken, but fine. I got out of the car and I went to his window, which was blacked out. You could see that he was trying to reverse back out of the verge.”

“The back wheel was missing but you could see the hub spinning out. He wound the window down and I said: ‘You can’t reverse’. He let out a big scream. I said: ‘You went around the corner a bit fast, like’. He said: ‘I know, I’m an idiot’. He said he was on his way to training, for Arsenal.”

“He got out and said: ‘Do you think it’s a write off?’. I said: ‘I’m no expert, but I think so – you have half a tree in your front bumper. ‘I then asked him if he was okay and he said he was fine. I said: ‘Do you want to call the police?’. He said: ‘I have already messaged my brother.”

“We got chatting and he said his name was Joe. I asked him three or four times if he was okay and if needed me to stay. He said he was fine, so I left. I was there for 10 or 15 minutes but my car was blocking the entrance to the M25 so I had to go.”

“I imagine somebody would have had to recover the car. There’s no way he could have driven off. 

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
Subscribe for notification